What're the side effects of my boyfriend keeping in his steel bar in his chest for more then 2 years?

He had Pectus excavatum got the nuss surgery and now we aren't able to get a hold of his doctor.

Favorite Answer

Hi. I have had the Nuss Procedure done too and am coming up on my two years for bar removal. When I talked to my surgeon last, he said 2 years was the MINIMUM that they wanted the bar to be in. He said it can be in in theory forever, but that they highly recommend you take it out at the latest five years after surgery. He told me that they sometimes have to track people down to get their bars removed after the five year point because they forget about it. It shouldn't be too big of a deal. The only "side effects" will be continual bar related discomfort, which your boyfriend probably deals with just fine and barely notices.

Source(s): undergoing the surgery myself