how long does it take to become a teacher?

I want to be either a preschool teacher or a 1st grade teacher.. how long would it take to become a preschool teacher or a 1st grade teacher? What classes are required?

Favorite Answer

Whoever said preschool-1st grade is not considered teaching has obviously not set foot in either of those classrooms since the day they left.

I can give you a pretty thorough response, since I am currently a junior studying Elementary Education at a university in NC. I am also an after school teacher at a preschool. In order to each either of the two you mentioned, you at least need a bachelor's degree (for preschool), and for elementary a bachelor's degree in Elementary Education. My program will give me certification to teach K-6, although I will prefer a lower grade. You also have to take the Praxis I (to get into the program) and Praxis II (to get your teaching license after you graduate).

After I completed my general education requirements, I applied for my major in Elementary Ed. You have to first take two intro to education courses (and complete about 10 hours of clinical work). Then, you take three more semesters of education methods courses and do lots and lots of clinical work at local elementary schools. My first semester in my program required 50 hours of clinical observations and field work, and then my second semester in the program requires two weeks of visiting a classroom everyday and teaching 4 lesson plans. My third semester in my teaching program will require me to enter my yearlong internship (this is when you student teach, you are placed at a school and then visit the classroom for one full day, videoing yourself teaching, and helping out) and THEN finally.. fourth semester, you student teach full time!

It is a very, very challenging program and the requirements will vary depending on the school you choose, but the program should be similar to mine that I described.

Hope I helped!

Source(s): Junior in college, majoring in Elementary Education and also work at a preschool.
  • Mike S

No matter what grade you teach in the public schools, the requirements are the same: you must have a Bachelor's degree, must pass all exams for state certification, and must not have a felony on your record. Many colleges require 4 years to be a teacher; however, some states are requiring that you complete 5 years of college before becoming a teacher (Kentucky is one example). The classes required for your interests would all relate to Elementary Education. Your major would be Elementary Education and you'd take classes in all content areas (reading, math, writing, science, social studies, etc.) and in classroom discipline/management.

Source(s): Over 25 years teaching experience

You would need to get your certification with a bachelors degree (4 years) or through the alternate route (about 2 years). If you would like to know what courses you need then visit any college website who offers teaching certification and look at the program details. Alternate route information would be located on the Department of Education website for your state. Classes and training vary by state. Since you didn't indicate what state you are looking to become certified in we can't help you any more then this.

Four year BA in early childhood education. I just received my BA in History with a track in secondary education and I am now certified to teach social studies grades 7-12.. I received a job right out of college.

Im not sure thats classed as a teacher to be honest.

how is a.b.c /1.2.3 teaching, is it the same as a person teaching high school kids photosynthesis, maths, history, no. its more babysitting than teaching