What swells the vocal cords?

What swells the vocal cords? any herbs or sprays or healthy alternatives to smoking

my voice is too high (guy of 24) and I want a deeper voice, smoking is all that ever works but I don't want to be a smoker, but I want a deeper voice?

is there anything that swells the cords?

Favorite Answer

You do know that swelling is a sign of damage, equating to laryngeal abuse? If you're a singer, the idea of deliberately causing swelling to your vocal folds is completely insane.

The deeper voice smokers have is because of dirty air, not because of swelling but it's still extremely unadvisable for a singer to smoke.

Your voice is your voice, individual and unique to you as a result of your cranial and muscular make up. Male puberty is not complete until around 28 so your larynx is still growing and developing. There are other things that may also be able to help with your tone such as breath control and palatal placement. A good voice coach will be able to help you with this.

Embrace the differences in your voice, that's what makes you an individual and it's often what separates successful singers from the rest.

Good luck!

Source(s): I'm a singer, vocal arranger/producer and have 13 years training in laryngeal biomechanics.

Yep RP is right, swollen vocal ligaments [cords] come from abuse.

In fact if you want a deeper voice you need to learn resonance and palatal choice. A good voice coach will teach you how to enhance the slower frequencies which are your lower notes so that the under tones of the frequency are more prominent.

Herbs sprays and smoking aint gonna do a thing for you.

Source(s): voice coach

Sustained singing of strong high notes can inflame the vocal cords. inflamed vocal cords do not make your voice deeper. Inflamed vocal cords can cause 3 things: 1, major inflammation, 2, vocal cord hemorrhaging, 3, vocal cord nodule growths.

If you actually have a true high voice, then you are probably missing something from your technique that's not allowing you to sing. Try neutralizing your larynx as you sing. If you have a immature voice and are using proper technique, then there's not much you can do.