Why does bible have simple mathematical contradictions?

If it is the word of god/inspired by God, how are there simple mathematical contradictions in it(let alone the scientific error) ???

How can this book be reliable in bigger things

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

I ues the bibbles difinition of pie an my cicles allwees luk fine.

Kaganate, in base 60 the bible should have said it was 3:8:29:44. Not 3. Wrong however you look at it.

• 6 years ago

It is not a science nor math text but the literary forms of those times inspired by God to reveal the truths he wanted revealed. Pope John Paul was asked by a reporter, What about all the contradictions in the Bible? The pope smiled and said, If you are looking for contradictions you will find them.

• 6 years ago

When discussing mathematics, it is important to show your work.

I have noted in the past couple of years of working with my son that the American school system fails to teach this basic truism.

So -- since you have not shown anything close to a bit of work (including providing neither the question or proposed answer),

one must presume that the mistakes are entirely yours.

@Bob - "Pi" is a Greek letter and Greek mathematical concept used in modern Greek-Arabic base-10 math.

The Bible is a collection of Hebrew books from ancient Israel which used Mesopotamian base-60 math.

That there's your problem.

As they say in computing "garbage in - garbage out"

@? - (to the follow-up on this) - did you read the Hebrew? How do you know the proper expression for the specific issue in that time period? - as mentioned below - you'll have to read the analysis by Vilna Gaon.

Lets make it simple -- 10th to 8th century BCE Israel had a many-hundred year industry of round, metal bowl manufacture. In fact, Israel was at the heart of the bronze trade in the period (look up the history of mining in the Negev, near present day Eilat).

If your analysis makes it unlikely that a bowl can be properly manufactured -- then your analysis misinterprets the source.

This is part of the basic rules for reading ancient documents.

-

Source(s): Learned my math basics in the USSR - when it was still a stable world power producing the best in the engineering professions. For anyone actualy interested, there is a book by the Vilna Gaon where some of the Biblical math is translated into modern math. However, the Vilna Gaon wrote in Hebrew and I don't know if there is an English translation.
  • 6 years ago

1 Kings 7:26

And it was an hand breadth thick, and the brim thereof was wrought like the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies: it contained two thousand baths.

2 Chronicles 4:5

And the thickness of it was an handbreadth, and the brim of it like the work of the brim of a cup, with flowers of lilies; and it received and held three thousand baths.

2000 or 3000?

2 Chronicles 4:2

Also he made a molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and five cubits the height thereof; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

10 cubits from brim to brim and 30 cubits around means that pi equals 3 not 3.14159(approximately)

There are many more contradictions here:

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.h...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

The Bible also contains food and hygiene laws that can now be proven to have been based all this time on the germ theory of disease and the modern human body. Scientific knowledge no human possessed 3500 years ago when these laws were first established. All that adds up to the fact that the knowledge behind these laws originated from a non human scientific mind 3500 years ago. All that adds up to proving the existence of a Intelligent Designer we have named the God Yahweh.

• 6 years ago

It was never intended to be a scientific text. It was written by the people of those times, who had many misconceptions about science. (For example, the Ptolemaic theory of the earth being the center of the universe, which theory was a normal part of philosophy and science for nearly 1,500 years.) God isn't so much concerned about our scientific beliefs as He is about our behavioral / moral beliefs. In those respects, the Bible and other scriptures fulfill their purposes and are reliable.

• Gary B
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

We could take you seriously if you could given an example.

But just SAYING there are "mathematical contradictions" doesn't mean that there really ARE any. Things don't exist just because YOU say so.

I'm SURE you understand how that works . . . . .

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

So 1 + 1 + 1 doesn't equal 1?

• Dave D
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

What part of the fact that the Bible is not a history book, a science book, a math book nor a sociology book do you not understand? The truth of the Bible is found in its MESSAGE... not its trivia.

• J
    Lv 6
    6 years ago

Pi is 3.

If it is not 3 then what is it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.