New Computer Build - All SSD (256gb) vs HDD + SSD?

I'm building a new machine. My old computer has a 1TB HDD and a 1TB external.... I've only used a TOTAL of 150GB of space over the past 2+ years...... I'm not a gamer or store tons of video!! So my question is: would there be any reason not to use a 256GB SSD as my ONLY drive in the new machine?? I guess I could still use my "1TB external" for some storage and back-up if needed!!! PROS & CONS ????????? Thank You.

Favorite Answer

If you don't use tons of storage space, a 256 GB SSD is probably fine. Just make sure to get one with a reputation for reliability and back up your data on occasion (Samsung 840 Pro Series, for example, are excellent SSDs).

Pros of SSD only:

-All data reads/writes faster than mechanical

-You don't have to mess with organization as much

Cons:

-Less space

-Higher probability of drive failure (though mitigated by regular backups and warranties)

Pros of SSD+HDD:

-More space overall

-fast boot and loading/writing, but only for SSD-saved programs

Cons:

-Requires more physical space

-More organization required

-More heat from HDD

Pros of HDD only:

-Cheapest

-Grants tons of space

Cons:

-More heat from HDD

-Significantly slower

I hope this helps!

I recommend just the SSD for the OS and Frequent applications, and the HDD for space.