? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 years ago

Which book should I read for summer 9th grade homework?

So I'm going into 9th grade soon and I'm taking honors English (they don't have AP yet for 9th grade), and basically to get into the class I have to complete the summer homework. They gave us a WHOLE LIST of books and we have to choose two books to write an essay based on this prompt they give us. The prompt explains how if the English department could only choose 5 books off the list to include in the next year's honors summer homework which one would I say should make it on that list, whether it be both the books I read or just one of them that I thought deserved to be put on the list. The essay has to be a multiple paragraph persuasive essay identifying the reasons why or why not it was good and back it up with text evidence including quotations, also I have to discuss the strengths and weaknesses comparing the two.

So furthermore, which of the books below would you recommend that are good (not boring!) and that would also be a little easier for this assignment? Also, I'm not exactly the type of person to read fast so really big books wouldn't help me at all, and I take very long on my essays and gathering quotes...plus I also have to do my honors science (which has over 30 pages worth of work! now won't that be fun?!)

Okay here's the list:

*Starred titles are shorter texts, and you must read both of these titles as one of your books.

Asimov, Isaac________*Empire and Foundation

Austen, Jane_________Pride and Prejudice or Emma

Bradbury, Ray________Something Wicked This Way Comes

Brontë, Charlotte______Jane Eyre

Cather, Willa_________My Antonia

Chabon, Michael_______Summerland

Chevalier, Tracy_________Girl With a Pearl Earring

Foers, Jonathan Safran________Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Gaines, Ernest____________A Lesson Before Dying

Haddon, Mark_____________The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time

Herbert, Frank_____________Dune

Hillenbrandt, Laura__________Seabiscuit (non-fic)

Hosseini, Khaled___________The Kite Runner

Huxley, Aldous_____________Brave New World

James, Henry____________*Daisy Miller and The Turn of the Screw

King, Laurie R._____________The Beekeeper’s Apprentice

Krakauer, Jon______________Into Thin Air(non-fic)

Larsen, Erik_______________Isaac’s Storm (non-fic)

Morrison, Toni_____________Song of Solomon

Orwell, George_____________1984

Patchett, Ann______________Bel Canto

Rand, Ayn_________________Anthem or The Fountainhead

Shelley, Mary________________Frankenstein

Steinbeck, John______________*Cannery Row and Travels with Charley (non-fic)

Tan, Amy___________________The Joy Luck Club

Vonnegut, Jr., Kurt___________Cat’s Cradle

Wilde, Oscar________________The Picture of Dorian Gray

Walker, Alice________________The Color Purple

Wolfe, Tom__________________The Right Stuff (non-fic)

Wright, Richard_______________Black Boy (non-fic)

Best Answer

Out of this list, I can recommend Pride & Prejudice, Emma, Jane Eyre, Frankenstein and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Pride & Prejudice is the one I would say is a must-read for everyone, as it is a brilliant book!

Jane Eyre can get a bit tedious at times.

Emma is also brilliant, but I would assume they wouldn't let you do both this and Pride & Prejudice.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is a very compelling story.

Frankenstein is a very good story, but a bit slow at times.

Overall, if I had to choose two, I would say to go with Pride & Prejudice and The Picture of Dorian Gray.

:)

What you should DEFINITELY read: Austen, Jane_________Pride and Prejudice or Emma

Hosseini, Khaled___________The Kite Runner Foers, Jonathan Safran________Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close Chevalier, Tracy_________Girl With a Pearl Earring Shelley, Orwell, George_____________1984 Shelley, Mary________________Frankenstein Rand, Ayn_________________ The Fountainhead

What you should definitely NEVER EVER read: Brontë, Charlotte______Jane Eyre

That book sucks.. big time..

Source(s): experience as a high schooler

DEFINITELY Pride and Prejudice, one of the BEST classics of all time! It is amazing!

Jane Eyre is awesome too!

The Kite Runner, you will cry rivers. It is undeniably powerful, a moving portrait of modern Afghanistan.

If you are a sci-fi fan, Frankenstein.

I would go with Pride and Prejudice and Jane Eyre, you might also want to consider the Kite Runner. Good luck! :)

P.S. I wish A Tale of Two Cities was on the list...

Herbert, Frank_____________Dune