How to change software update sever for Mac 10.6.8?

I am currently running on a Mac OS X 10.6.8

Every time I try to update my software, the bar freezes about a 12th of the way and then I get this message "The Software Update Server (_____) is not responding" (the ___ is the name of the sever)

I've searched the web for an answer and came up dry.

I've tried entering "defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL" and "defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL" in Terminal, but that doesn't work. I've also tried deleting the "com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist" but the same exact error keeps coming up. (I've erased it from my trash as well!)

I have no idea what else to do. If there's anything that's useful at all, please let me know! I've been to tons of websites that say the same thing. I'm looking for something that'll actually work. Please help!

Favorite Answer

I've never seen a message with "(_____)". Can you tell the secret missing server name?

Also, try choosing just one if the updates instead of all. Keep choosing and installing one at a time, until you have it narrowed down to the one item that fails. Now, what is it? That one update is listed on Apple's support site, so you can download it directly and install it.

As a matter of fact, once you reach OS 10.6.8, I would expect no more than two updates to come along, such as security updates. It isn't like Windows that has fifty security updates a month. It's more like two a year.

<0-0>