Who would you say was the first rock 'n' roll artist?

personally I think either Fat Domino, Little Richard maybe even Jerry Lee Lewis or Elvis, but who was the first, and I mean like an actual rock 'n' roll singer, not like the proto-rock 'n' roll /very inspirational too, thing like Robert Johnson, Bo Diddley(kinda sorta), Les Paul(maybe kinda) and I know some people say Rocket 88 was the first rock 'n' roll song, but does that mean the Delta Cats are the first rock 'n' roll band?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Bill Haley because he was the first '' known'' Rock and Roll ''recorded'' ( artist )

He didn't use any form of Rhythm and Blues other than Rockabilly and Country later in his career.

Delta Cats were Rhythm and Blues and Not a Rock ''n' Roll (artist/singer/band)

The song Rocket 88 was based on a 1948 Oldsmobile and just had ( Rock Riffs )

and it's also a Rhythm and Blues song and Not Rock ''n'' Roll.

The song does have some Rock ''n'' Roll style to it but it definitely wasn't R&R.

It also wasn't the first song to incorporate Rock Riffs nor Rock and Roll.

Sam Phillips just claimed it was the first because it was recorded in his studio.

Don't trust Wikipedia because anybody with special credits can edit the word ''First''

Bill Haley & His Comets would be among the very few earliest artist.

( as in actual Only Rock and Roll artist/singer )

but there is too much controversy and you have to have a good understanding

of R&B, Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, and also Blues Music.

For instance The Boswell Sisters sang the song ''Rock and Roll'' in 1934

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQ_uYqUyx8

Youtube thumbnail

Bill Haley's first Rock ''n'' Roll recording was ''Crazy Man Crazy'' in 1953.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBWF2m6K7sQ

Youtube thumbnail

Chuck Berry with his first recording '' Maybellene'' in 1955.

You say Fats Domino and he's definitely great but Fats isn't Rock and Roll. He's Rhythm and Blues and R&R mixed. Little Richard was soul and just used a Rock 'n' Roll showmanship as part of his act. His first recording was Tutti Frutti in 1955.

Others before Jackie Brenston that played of similar Rock ''n' Roll ( riff songs )

but were solely R&B and Not Rock and Roll artist/singers or bands.

Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats came out in 1951

“That’s All Right, Mama” – Arthur “Big Boy” Crudup (1946)

“Good Rockin’ Tonight” – Wynonie Harris (1948)

“Rock This Joint” – Jimmy Preston and his Prestonians (1949)

“Saturday Night Fish Fry” – Louis Jordan & The Tympany Five (1949)

I think determining who the first rock band was is really a matter of perspective. Since it was more of an evolution of southern blues, you can see in the timeline link that references to rock and roll are made as early as 1934. The white bands became the mainstream for music that ''black folks'' had pioneered for years.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Peepaw
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I'd say either Chuck Berry or Bill Haily and His Comets

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

In my personal opinion it's probably The Who. They were known as one of the first punk rock bands. But way back in the day rock had a different sound than it does today and people could mistake their genres

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I own all that early stuff, but don't really feel the need to know what went where. its enough to love it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

chuck berry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.