Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 8 years ago

What is the path to be a lawyer in New York?

I have an English law degree.

I would like to know the formality and requirements.

Do I sit for the New York Bar exam before joining a law firm? When I get into a law firm, would I be an associate? What would be the path to be a partner and the highest position there is?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

For a graduate of a UK law school, you'll probably need to go to an ABA-accredited law school in the US for your LLM. My suggestion would be to go to the best one you can afford. It's only a one-year program, so it shouldn't cost too much, relatively speaking. I'd consider specializing in something in finance, like banking or secured lending, if you have excellent academic credentials. That'll let you leverage your knowledge of British law in international business transactions.

Once that's out of the way, you need to sit for the bar in New York. It's a two-day exam. The first day is the MBE, the second day is all New York law. Once you pass, you get licensed.

If you have a work visa, you generally can work at a firm as an intern or clerk before getting a license. A lot of people do this after they sit for the bar while they wait for the results. You don't get paid as much as an attorney does, but at least you're working and getting paid something. Once you're licensed, you become an associate.

The partner or shareholder track differs from firm to firm, and some even have different levels of shareholders or partners. In addition to performing legal work, you need to "make rain," or bring new business in the door. The more clients and the more money you bring in, the higher the odds are of you making partner. Normally, you become a junior partner around 35 or 40 years old. Senior partners are ordinarily in their late 40s.

First things first. Do you have a visa that allows you to work in the US? If you don't have immediate family (parents, siblings) that are US citizens you'll never get one (unless you marry a US citizen). There's no shortage of lawyers in the US so you'll never get an employer to sponsor you and UK citizens are not eligible for the green card lottery.

Go to undergrad school, go to law school, take the bar.