I need some guidelines for my essay on Plessy v. Ferguson?

In the 1896 landmark case, Plessy v. Ferguson, the Supreme Court ruled that separate-but-equal facilities did not violate the Constitutional rights of African Americans. Do some research about the case.

Consider and discuss both sides debated in the case and the effects of the decision on American history.

Favorite Answer

Perhaps a checklist is easier.

1) Do some research and take notes about the case. This gives you statements of fact to organize. What wwas the case about?

2) List the things that support

A) the Plessy point of view and then list the things that support

B) Ferguson Point of View.

3)Get clear about what the constitutional rights of African Americans were in 1896 according to the Supreme Court.

4) Because of this ruling by the Court all future cases of law would need to follow this interpretation until the constitution changed or state/federal laws changed. What happened?

This could be 5 parts or 5 paragraphs depending on how detailed your assignment needs to be.

PBS is an easy place to get oriented to the case, but you probably need more in depth references.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia page.

The court decision justified segregation, and thus blocked black people from integrating into American society.

I find it interesting that your teacher says: "Consider and discuss both sides debated".

I usually see teachers load the questions in favor of their opinion, such as: Why was the Plessy v Ferguson decision racist?

Read the Wikipedia page and search the case on the internet. Then you can answer the question.