What Components Should I Use For A Custom Gaming PC?

Okay. So I want to build my first computer, typically for gaming because my laptop sucks. I need to ask you people, who are probably smarter than me, what components I should use. I have already decided on my RAM (2 Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kits), but I want to know what CPU I should use, what the best motherboard is for it, what graphics card I should get, and so on. So here are my 'guidelines', if you may.

Graphics Card: Under $800, can handle some good graphics (Portal 2, Battlefield 3, so on)

CPU: Preferably Intel, since AMD runs really hot. Under $600.

Hard Drive: I would like an SSD, but they're quite expensive. Areound 750GB-1TB or bigger, under $500.

Optical Drive: Not as needed, but if you could recommend some good ones that would be cool.

Power Supply: Nothing special, I guess. If there are good ones that can boost performance that would be great.

If there is anything I missed, please tell me and I'll look up some.

I didn't miss the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and case, I already know what I want for those.

• PTRP
    Favorite Answer

GPU - GTX 780

CPU - 4770K

SSD - Crucial M500 960GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT960M500SSD1 - $650

UNDER $500 - you can only get up to 512gb SSD at newegg.

PSU - 850W corsair (for SLI setup in the future) or corsair 650W PSU for a system with a single GTX 780.

AMD's do not run excessively hot unless you over clock them, in which case you have to be sure to coll them properly. The AMD 8350 costs about $200 with a benchmark of 9100. The competing Intel CPU costs $250 and has a benchmark score of 7500. So it provides 21% better performance for $50 less in price.

The Intel version of the Asus Sabertooth X79 is $330. The AMD FX990 version costs $184. So for $380, you can have an AMD system with approximately 21% better performance for what you would pay $580 in an Intel box. That is a $200 price premium for 20% less performance. I don't know where you went to school, but in my world, that is a no-brainer. Perhaps consider the Asus Crosshair and 3way crossfire/SLI option? I have never looked at Crossfire performance, but something makes me think that 3 $100 cards linked together like that will provide better performance than 1 $300 card ...

Concerned about heat? A good sealed liquid cooling system can be had for $80. Or you could purchase a high-end copper air cooler for $50. Now if you want to freeze the heck out of it and are into doing some engineering on your own, you could always do some active cooling with something like a Peltier ... Use a good case with a number of fan openings for 120 fans, or even a 200mm fan and balance them around so you are blowing out in the right places and the fans blowing in are blowing directly on components with the greatest need for cooling.

You say you know what you want for mouse, keyboard and such, but I strongly urge you to consider a mechanical key keyboard. Something like this: http://www.microcenter.com/product/413477/eSPORTS_...

$800 for a video card? Save yourself $600. A $200 video card will play your Battle Field 3 on Ultra settings.

If you follow my advice and save yourself over a thousand dollars and appreciate it, I do accept gratuities, particularly since I don't get commission from anyone for suggesting these parts and helping you out ...