Jme
Jme asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 years ago

I'm making seafood gumbo, how do you keep the okra from being slimy?

This is my first time cooking gumbo with okra. Many people say its not gumbo unless you add it in. I have made chicken and sausage gumbo at home many times and never added it because I hate the slime! I'm in a competition and want to add it this time... I just want to make sure and do it right! Help! :)

Best Answer

You could fry the okra before adding it to the gumbo...

Just a suggestion.

The slime is a natural component of okra and to minimize it, you might soak a bit in lemon juice or vinegar solution. When immersed in the gumbo, it should already lose a lot of the slime. Something I don't really mind and if you are in a gumbo contest, the judges will surely expect and not mind the slime of your entry.

You won't notice the okra slime after it is cooked. The very name "gumbo" is from either the Bantu word for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for filé (kombo).

Source(s): Wiki
  • Laura

Gumbo You want to add Andouille or Chariso sausage? Throw it in INGREDIENTS 1/2 lb. or more filet of catfish, trout or redfish 2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined 1/2 pint of shelled oysters 2 cups chopped onion 1 cup chopped celery Gumbo File 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped parsley 1 gallon water 4 cloves minced garlic salt, black and red pepper to taste Here we go! for the Roux 1 - 1/2 cups cooking oil 1 - 1/2 cups flour Place cooking oil in heavy iron pot over medium heat. When oil is hot, stir flour in a little at a time, blending thoroughly with each addition. Lower heat. It is very important that you keep stirring constantly. After all of the flour has been combined with the oil, turn fire down very low and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. Pour the mixture into another container and continue as follows: GUMBO Add onions and celery to roux. Cook until onions are wilted and then add water and garlic. Cook in heavy uncovered pot over medium heat for one hour and season to taste with salt, black and red pepper. Add shrimp, parsley and fish to mixture; cook another 10 - 15 minutes then add oysters to the mix and let come to a boil. Serve in soup plates with cooked rice. Sprinkle a dash of Gumbo File on each dish, if desired.

Use fresh, small pods of okra. They tend to be less slimy.

forget the okra, use file` powder( ground sassafras) as thickener! and for a liquid, use red wine, like a cabernet sauvignon, and a cinnamon stick, that you remove with your bay leaves.