Help with German exchange student?

In February next year I am hosting an exchange student from Bavaria, Germany. It will be summer in Australia and we'll both be the same age (15). I will be going over there next year in November but I'm not worried about that. I'm a little bit worried that I won't be able to host them very well because I'm kinda awkward and I don't know how to entertain people for long periods of time (they will be staying 10 weeks). They will be having there own room, and will be attending my school. Could you please suggest activities I could do with them to make them feel welcome or more comfortable; e.g. going to the cinema, taking her our with my friends, etc. I just feel like it'll be hard since I spend most of my time by myself on the computer when I'm at home. Also, I am learning German and know enough, but apparently most Germans who are younger know English well.

Thanks :)

• Orla C
    Favorite Answer

Having hosted exchange students and been one myself, I can give you some tips.

First thing: the cinema is NOT a good idea for the first few weeks, simply because your student will be getting used to hearing English all the time and everything will be overwhelming. However, this doesn't mean you don't need to enjoy good films - get films with subtitling in German or English, set up a movie night in your sitting room, have a few friends over, some snacks and drinks, and chat for a while, and then turn on the film. That way everyone can enjoy it.

The stuff you do with your student can be fun things you both enjoy. Rather than assume it's all on you, why don't you ask your student what they like doing, or if there's anything specific they want to do while they are in Australia? Have some leaflets or websites available that you can both look at, and offer to take your student to those places. He/she may want to learn to surf, for example, or do a lot of swimming - Bavaria is way inland, after all.

A trip to the zoo might seem fun and childish, but learning about animals is familiar territory to everyone - and there reassuring in a country far away from home - and given the huge number of dangerous creepy crawlies Australia has in comparison to Europe, it might also be practical.

The fact is, hon, you're going to have to modify a few habits while your student is there, and get off your backside and away from your computer for a few hours every day. But these things can be discussed, especially if you have some kind of obligation to be online for so long (and gaming doesn't count).

My advice: do everything and and anything you can. Malls are great. Take your friends and her to a mall and spend the entire there. See the town. If you can go on a boat ride, those are great, too. And great photo ops :D. When I was in Germany, they had a rose festival in a medieval castle. I ate rose ice cream. You could find something like that to do, too. Also, chances are she packed swim gear so you should probably swim at least once. The cinema is great but you might want to save that for the second to last week(the last week will be hectic). And yes, Germans speak much better English than English speakers speak German.

• Wally

Emily... you will do fine. FIRST, as soon as you know her name, start writing to see what she likes to go and become "friends". Have a welcome party and introduce her to your family, neighbors and friends. That is a good icebreaker. You are right, she will probably know a lot of English, BUT she may be hesitant to speak - afraid of making mistakes. If she does, laugh and remind her "Well, YOUR English is a LOT better than MY German!" and have a good laugh. Teens are the same everywhere. Just be a friend and resource. Let her know it is OK to ask ANY questions - there ARE cultural differences. And have FUN.