Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

is Buddhism growing in China?

i read that Buddhism was the largest religion on the planet before the cultural revolution in china. so now that the ban on religion has been lifted in china do you think Buddhism will once again become the largest religion.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Tiger
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as

Christian 31.59% (of which Roman Catholic 18.85%, Protestant 8.15%, Orthodox 4.96%, Anglican 1.26%),

Muslim 23.2%,

Hindu 15.0%,

Buddhist 7.1%,

Sikh 0.35%,

Jewish 0.22%,

Baha'i 0.11%,

other religions 10.95%,

non-religious 9.66%,

atheists 2.01%. (2010 est.).(Wiki)

Buddhism is to low to ever have been the largest. I live in China now and can say for sure "money" is the largest religion here. You go to the market and almost every weight is tricked. We bought cheap fish for our cats and wild cats we feed, and got two kilo less then it should be. The woman offered to give 10 Yuan back when we confronted her, but only if we again bought a large amount of fish.

If you take a taxi in Tianjin the "good guys" charge you 16 Yuan, the cheaters 40 Yuan for the same distance. And there is a lot of them. If you want a good job you pay between 300-500 thousand Yuan to the leader, whatever education you have. Btw. you also have to have contacts to get this kind of job.

I observe the Chinese people keep some of their traditions, like burning incense for their ancestors, but it is fading away like in all modern cultures. Christianity in China has a history going back to the Tang dynasty (8th century), and today is the fastest growing minority religion in China. (Wiki)

The kind of Christianity that grows here is questionable. My chinese wife meets all kinds of strange teachings quite so often. Because China is so much more open now, all kinds of "christian" views pops up. Influenced mostly from South Korea and USA.

MIMI

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

I think right now, it's hard to tell whether or not Buddhism is growing, or simply coming out of hiding.

One thing, though, is that the modern Chinese government knows that Buddhism is good for tourism -- in some ways better than Confucianism and Taoism, even though those two faiths have just as much if not more of a hold on traditional Chinese society.

The temples are pretty, the monks are colorful, and the reformed Shaolin temple brings in a lot of money from tourists.

Combine that with the fact that China still remains officially unencouraging of religion (even though that stance is not actually the case in practice), and we probably won't get real statistics for a few years.

• 7 years ago

Possibly, but possibly not it depends. Communists in general are against religions so I suspect that the religious ban will stay for awhile or at least until the Communist government goes away, which could happen eventually.

I'm not sure if Buddhism was the largest religion at any point, but it's possible given that it is one of the top 5 (I believe it's the fouth) with the most followers.

It probably isn't growing as of now and there isn't anyway to know since the Chinese wouldn't release any official information on that.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

In order from most to least the top religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. China now is mostly Buddhist. And yes, it is constantly growing and may be equal to Hinduism soon.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Actually, Christianity is the largest. Buddhism is nowhere near the amount to be the largest.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.