Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Can you name any black british actresses in america?

I'm asking because I've been thinking about moving to america when I turn 18 to pursue acting(I don't want to act in the uk).and was wondering if there has been any successful black british actresses in america.

And I also ask because I want to know if an obvious english accent would be a problem

Update:

Firstly Tyler perry is a man and secondly he was born in america

Update 2:

I know I can't expect to just be allowed into the country and start looking for auditions. I want to go there for uni ,studying acting and from there the purest

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sophie Okonedo and Naomie Harris immediately spring to mind.

• David
    Lv 6
    8 years ago

I think people are reading way too much into your question. Nowhere did I see you mention being paid. Acting can be simply a hobby. There are locally well known actors in community theaters that don't make a dime, and stay very busy, so chill out people. That's how the majority of actors get their start.

I hate to say it, but this may be tough for you. You NEED to learn an American accent. A lot of roles are going to have their characters backgrounds known. Since amateur actors can't do very good transatlantic accents, there are rarely English roles in most plays. Even requiring a regional accent can be risky, because even the most talented Americans can completely mangle say, a Boston accent (see: Don Cheadle English accent). A bad accent can be very distracting.

There are plenty of roles where the characters background is nondescript, so you'd have a good chance at them. But still, years down the road, as your success grows, if you decide to live here and become a professional, you'd better have a real solid American accent in your arsenal. And probably a Southern one too, just in case.

But you shouldn't be discouraged by any means. You're under 18, so obviously you're expecting a lot of effort to reach your goals. Start learning an American accent on your own till you can get a teacher.

• 8 years ago

Naomie Harris, Marsha Thomason, Gugu Mbatha-Raw

Having an obvious English accent would limit the roles in which you could audition or be cast in. You might want to work on perfecting an American accent.

And you can't just come to America to audition. Acting is not exempt from international laws. You'll need the necessary paperwork in order to legally work in the United States.

If you do decide to come to America, I highly recommend you do the research and understand how the industry works here. It's not like you can show up and they'll be a bunch of open auditions for professional work that you could keep going to until you get "discovered" or something. Professional acting is a business and companies are in it to make money.

ETA: It's find if you want to try to come to the US to study acting, just understand that you can NOT work on a student VISA, so can't audition or the like. So if you were going to try to pursue a professional career here after school you additional legal paperwork to stay in the country after your schooling and work as an actor. Not saying you can't do it - just wanting you to understand that it's not something that's easy to do, but something you're going to have to research.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Here's a bunch from Ebony magazine http://www.ebony.com/photos/entertainment-culture/...

Generally british accents in America are well liked. Its definitely a plus.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Thandie Newton, she came out in Norbit & The Pursuit of Happiness. She's hella gorgeous & an amazing actress. Oh & did i mention she's from London?

Do it! trust me, anyone can become famous in America if they really tried, or even if they didnt (Antoine Dodson "hide yo kids, hide yo wife").

Trust me, no one will discriminate over you, we have people from all over the world.

• 8 years ago

Thandie Newton, for one. Like many actors, you will probably end up working with a dialect coach to be able to use many accents, thus opening up more roles to play.

• 8 years ago

Tyler perry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.