Getting a job as a waitress?

I'm a 20 year old college student, and I need a new job when I get back to school. I had my first serving job this summer, but I've had jobs in the food industry since I turned 15. I would really like a serving job at places like PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, or some steak houses. But, I heard that they only hire people with years of experience. Is that true? Also, I also heard that you can be hired as a hostess and then promoted to become a server. How long does it usually take of being a host to be able to be promoted? Thanks

Favorite Answer

They may prefer the experience but it isn't required. When you fill out the application it will say the requirements. So check the application and see if it is required- it probably isn't. Usually people do not have years of experience serving, they usually move up onto something better. You should be a good applicant since you have been in the food service for a while.

It depends on how lng it takes to be promoted. You have to excel and your job and show that you can handle the responsibility of moving up.