Gaming Desktop, Best Bang For My Buck?

Hey guys, I'll get to the point. I want to get a good gaming desktop but I don't want to pay an outrageous price. I have a budget of about $900 I don't really want to spend any more than that. I've checked around and looked for some and I have a pretty good knowledge about computers and what does... show more Hey guys, I'll get to the point. I want to get a good gaming desktop but I don't want to pay an outrageous price. I have a budget of about $900 I don't really want to spend any more than that. I've checked around and looked for some and I have a pretty good knowledge about computers and what does what, but I'm a bit confused on the GPU's or video cards. GTX, GT, ATI, Nvidia ect. i'm not too familiar with this area and what I should be looking for. Also I don't really fortay the AMD CPU's as my friends have told me they're not so good. Back to the point, what should I be looking out for with this budget, and If I have to build my own as most people will probably say, What should I get and where should I get it. I appreciate your time thanks.
Update: Just some extra info, I want to be able to play on atleast a high setting if i'm going to be buying a desktop. Also, I do want to be use the computer for other day to day things like editing some stuff here and there, watching high def vids ect, but mostly for gaming ofcourse.