Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 7 years ago

How to paint chrome dodge mirrors?

I have a 97 dodge ram and I want to paint the chrome side mirrors and I don't know what I should do. Some one help! Thanks

• Favorite Answer

It is difficult to paint over a chrome surface since one of the inherent qualities of chrome is a smooth and slippery finish. However, using specialized paints and the right chrome painting techniques can make painting over chrome a much easier task.

1)Wash the chrome with soap and water until it is thoroughly cleaned.

2)Sand the chrome exterior using sand paper. You can start with a 60 grit sheet of sand paper and then use 320 grit sand paper to give a smoother finish.

3)Wipe the dust off the chrome after sanding and then clean away any oil or wax that may have remained on the surface using lacquer thinner.

4) this step is optional Fill any small pores that remain on the exposed chrome using liquid metal compound until the surface is as smooth as possible

5)add 2 coats of self-etching primer over the chrome.

6)Apply the automotive primer over the self-etching primer. You should apply at least 2 to 3 coats and wait for each coat to dry before applying the new coat.

7) apply your chosen automotive paint.

Source(s): auto body tech and shop owner