What is gumbo and how do you make it?

Let me explain, my friends and I are helping my roommate prepare a party for her family next week. From what she's told me, she use to live in New Orleans before they moved and her family loves seafood dishes and other stuff. She asked me before she left to fetch her, as she said "kin", to grab the ingredients to make gumbo. What the hell is that? And how do you make it? I'm not Rachael Ray, so please help me!

• Rick
    Best Answer

Gumbo is a soup or stew that is flavored with a brown Roux to make it thick and it can be made with almost anything. It can have chicken, sausage, crab, shrimp, alligator or anything else that swims, walks or flies. I always made mine with a combination of shrimp, some type of smoked sausage, oysters, Some type of firm white fish.

Here is how I would do it in order:

In a heavy dutch Oven or Stock Pot Melt 2 sticks of butter over med heat add to this 1 Cup of All purpose flour. Stir frequently until it is dark brown like a chocolate bar, this should take about 20 - 30 minutes. Remove your roux and save. Add to the pan(you don't even have to wash it you can just go into the same pan) 3 stalks of celery sliced, I lg or 2 med onions, 1 lg bell pepper 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped. cook at med low heat for about 10-15 minutes. Add 2 Tbs Gumbo File, 2 cups tomatoes diced. 2 qts stock(you can use chicken stock or if you want to get really authentic remove the shells from your shrimp and make a stock with those) 3 bay leaves, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne 1.5 Lbs of smoked sausage diced or sliced. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes then add your brown roux bring back to a simmer and add peeled 2 Lbs shrimp and the fish cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces.Once the Gumbo comes back to a boil remove from heat so the seafood doesn't overcook A few shakes of worcestershire at the end and serve it over cooked white rice. Do not cook the rice in the gumbo as it will end up over cooked. Enjoy and remember not one single ingredient is an absolute you can vary as you like.

I have n't heard about gumbo yet.