Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsGames & GearPC · 7 years ago

Game purchasing on Steam?

I Never used Steam before and both my brothers told me to use it and so I did. Now when I buy my first game it asks for my billing address. Does that mean the games are mailed to you?? or is it just for security. Do the games download? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The billing address is for security purposes, and games are sent by download. It's worth checking the specifications of the game page to find out the size of the game, as some games (Such as popular FPS Team Fortress 2) are quite large, especially if they are frequently updated to provide new material, bug fixes, or to accommodate DLC (Downloadable content such as extra levels that is available to purchase on some games by certain companies - You can check an individual game for DLC on its store page below the description).

The games, once purchased (Where applicable) and activated, then run exclusively through your Steam account, with updates for many games enabled by default (Though last I checked, this could be changed in the preferences).

It is worth noting, however, that unfortunately games that are purchased through Steam or use a Steam activation code cannot be sold on, however some items from selected free-to-play games (Available in the free-to-play section of the store along with other games) can be sold on the steam community market to provide "Steam Wallet funds" (Money that remains attached to your steam account) if you have made a recent purchase on the account. These funds can then be used towards buying paid games or items for Free-to-Play games.

I hope I helped a little. Sorry it's more than you need, but I felt it might help (Provided it actually makes sense).

It's for the payment you are making. All the information you have on your credit card or whatever you are using needs to be used to prove that it is yours. The game is not going to be mailed to you, you get to download it on Steam. My brother uses Steam all the time. It's just proof of payment ownership. And also security.