Substitute Hoisin sauce for Oyster sauce?

Attempting to make beef and broccoli for dinner and I forgot to pick up Oyster sauce. We have a jar of hoisin sauce in the cabinet though. Can I sub it or no? I'm not an experienced oriental cook.

• Goerge
    Favorite Answer

Well um the flavor profile will completely change BUT not in a bad way. You are just changing the prominent flavor. Hoisin sauce is actually translatable to seafood sauce but also Peking Duck sauce. the complicated side is that oyster sauce does contain an oyster extract but is not typically FISHY in its' flavor. In my opinion Hoisin sauce typically is used as a glaze(Peking Duck for example) and oyster sauce is incorporated(many stir-fry dishes. You are welcome to try it. Sorta can think of Hoisin as a barbeque sauce that is brushed om and oyster sauce as a ingredient that is usually mixed in with the dish.

Alternative To Oyster Sauce

You could but it will have the bite of the Hoisin and not the mildness of the Oyster

Dune

I think it can still taste good, but oyster sauce is watery compared with thick, sweet hoison sauce so it will definitely not be an authentic recipe.

I'm wondering about the substitution in chicken lLo mein