Substitute Hoisin sauce for Oyster sauce?

Attempting to make beef and broccoli for dinner and I forgot to pick up Oyster sauce. We have a jar of hoisin sauce in the cabinet though. Can I sub it or no? I'm not an experienced oriental cook.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well um the flavor profile will completely change BUT not in a bad way. You are just changing the prominent flavor. Hoisin sauce is actually translatable to seafood sauce but also Peking Duck sauce. the complicated side is that oyster sauce does contain an oyster extract but is not typically FISHY in its' flavor. In my opinion Hoisin sauce typically is used as a glaze(Peking Duck for example) and oyster sauce is incorporated(many stir-fry dishes. You are welcome to try it. Sorta can think of Hoisin as a barbeque sauce that is brushed om and oyster sauce as a ingredient that is usually mixed in with the dish.

• 4 years ago

Alternative To Oyster Sauce

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

You could but it will have the bite of the Hoisin and not the mildness of the Oyster

Dune

• 7 years ago

I think it can still taste good, but oyster sauce is watery compared with thick, sweet hoison sauce so it will definitely not be an authentic recipe.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

I'm wondering about the substitution in chicken lLo mein

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.