I kissed my baby before I found out I had a cold sore.?

I heard babies can die when someone kissed a baby while having a cold sore. I kissed my baby many many times and I didn't notice u had a cold sore inside my mouth till after all that kissing. I'm scared to death that something bad would happened to my 2 month old. Please help. Any moms been through this?

• Chandi
    Favorite Answer

Talk about paranoia. First of all you don't get cold sores on the inside of your mouth, they only form on the outside, you just have a canker sore, which is not a viral infection. And if you've had a cold sore anytime in your life before you got pregnant then you passed the immunity to your child in-utero and baby is safe from infection. I'm assuming you've had one before since you recognize it now, so there's nothing to worry about.

Source(s): Mother
  • Kukana

If it's your first ever cold sore, then yes, this does pose a serious risk to your baby. Please read this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1081076/... - and if you see ANY signs of illness in your baby, take her to hospital and ensure she gets the correct drugs. Cold sores can be fatal to babies :-(

However, if you've had cold sores before, then you should have developed some immunity which will have been passed on to your baby before she was born, and also through breastmilk (assuming you are breastfeeding). Nonetheless, keep a very close eye on your baby for the next week or so.

It's good that you're aware of this possibility which isn't very well known - but it IS quite rare, so probably everything will be okay.

I've never heard of that before. Have you ever read in a newspaper or seen on the news that a baby has died because someone with a cold sore kissed it?

Your baby is fine.

• Cold sores aren't fatal.