How do online insurance quotes know you're being truthful?

I mean about your past accidents. Not that I'm trying to lie, I just can't remember if I've had any reported accidents or anything in the past 3 years. I know there was one small incident in a parking lot, but I called my insurance company to report it and never heard back from them so I don't know if the other guy actually filed a claim against me or not. So if I just put on, say, GEICO.com for example, that I've had no accidents or violations, then proceed to buy the policy like that, how and when does that actually get checked, if I'm able to buy it like that right then and there? Do the sites do an automatic driving record check before providing the quote in the first place? Or would they contact me after the fact and tell me that I need to pay a higher premium than I had already initially paid?

Favorite Answer

I'm sure this varies from state to state, but the insurance company will pull your records from whatever government agency handles driver's licenses. In Texas, it's the Department of Public Safety, so for example, if Nationwide wants to verify my driving history, they'll get an official document from DPS outlining all of my tickets and accidents. If I didn't report an accident to the police, or if the police were on scene but chose not to file a report, then the DPS won't know about it and it won't be on my record.

Moreover, an insurance claim is not necessarily an accident, so even if Nationwide had access to whatever claims I filed with Allstate in previous years, I doubt it would make a difference to them.

You can lie about your history when you get an online quote, but the company will need your driving record to sell you the policy, so you'd basically just be gathering inaccurate information for no reason.

Oh, and if you're not sure about your reported history, just call the DMV, DPS, DOT, or whatever, and get a copy of your record. You can usually get an unofficial copy right away for free, or an official one in the mail for a small charge. Everything you need to know will be available on either one.

• Hannah

They give you a quote based on what you tell them. However before they sell you a policy for that amount they will check all of your records. If you lied you won't get the policy.

Unless you give vital info like SSN, They don't know if you lie or not, but If you lie they do not stand behind pollicy if your in an accident.

You lie= no insurance