Still no answer for my work experience request !!!?

Hello everyone,

I am a french student who is in the UK for only a few weeks and as I wish to study medicine there for the future, I tried to get a work experience placement at a hospital in London. But the work experience assistant told me I can't apply because I do not live in the area. Therefore, I directly sent emails to doctors at this hospital and one answered me. Thanks to him the work experience assistant wrote to me and asked me to fill some forms (name, why I wanted to do this ...) I sent them and now I still have no answer. I wrote to her a few days early to know if it was okay (cause I still don't know if I can shadow the doctor) but no answer!! I'm supposed to start the shadowing in 2 days and I am panicking please please please tell me what I should do ? I don't know if I should send another email to the hospital or maybe the work experience assistant will be tired of me ???? please i'm really desperate .

thanks for taking time to read me

Favorite Answer

I can only answer as an American for obvious reasons, therefore, this response is not only based upon my own personal experiences as an employee and as a manager hiring others, but also relates to the customs here. However, I can't imagine what I have to say would be inappropriate, but at least you can take my answer into consideration.

I received one of my best jobs ever because of my persistence. This was in the days when we only had paper resumes. Upon calling the phone number listed in the newspaper (where all available jobs were once found), I was told to mail (not email either) my resume into such and such place. They were across town from where I lived, but I immediately walked it in, and handed it to the person doing the hiring, I was told a decision would be made on Friday, four days away. I called everyday reiterating my excitement to work for them and asking if an earlier decision had been made.

I was hired on Friday and told it was my persistence that paid off. This was at a field office for an international software company, and a year later, I was promoted to headquarters for the most fascinating position with awesome perks.

As a manager hiring others, I always looked for the persistence. It shows the person is truly interested in the position, Prior to becoming a manager and prior to the great job, I had worked at an employment agency and had to help the applicant with correcting or improving their interviewing skills. Though skills for the position mattered, so did it matter just as much, that they truly had the interest and desire to work at that particular company.

It takes a great deal of money and time (which has a cost factor) to train an employee, and many times a person is putting resumes out left and right (especially these days with the internet). They are willing to take the first job offered, and the job lasts until they are bored or until they can find a better offer.

The person will not tire of you if you remain confident and professional. It is much easier these days with email. In my earlier days we had to telephone. With an email, if the person doesn't have the time to read it or respond, they don't. However, they will notice the persistence.

When we use to send a letter (by mule train- thru the mail) immediately following an interview, we would start with of course thanking the person for the time they allowed you for the interview, added our excitement to become a team player (a positive term) for ABC Company, summarized our skills & talents and how we believed we could enhance the position. All this in 3 to four paragraphs.

Send the emails. Keep adding your interest with different terms and wording, and how you strongly desire to work/train at their hospital, and adding a few positive stuff about your skills, goals, or whatever would apply for what you are seeking.

It is important to remain confident and at times bold when seeking a position you really want. The person who could care less about who hires them, does not take an active role in getting the position.

Email is so much easier than a phone call where you are taking the chance of getting the person at a busy, hectic time, because as I mentioned, emails they don't have to read it at that time if they are too busy, but definitely your persistence will be noticed.

If the position has been filled, which is a possibility as to why you haven't heard anything, you need to know this so you can move on. In your email, request to be notified of this, because your priority has been their place.

Good luck and wishing you the best.