Noct333 asked in PetsFish · 8 years ago

Do i feed my Betta too much?

I feed him 8-10 pellets a day, and sometimes flakes and small little shrimp that come with the flakes. I feed him in the morning at around 10:30 to 11:00. And i feed him at night at 10:30 pm, then he goes to sleep.

Each meal he eats around 4-5 pellets. Should i cut back on the pellets? Should i only feed him 2 or 3?

Well it is 1:00pm and i already fed him 5 in the morning... Im thinking of not feeding him until tomorrow, and that's what im probably gonna do.

I think i might cut back to 4 or 6 a day. He just loves to eat, i love this fish.

Actually, im just gonna leave it at 4, i dont want a fat *** fish. I think he needs to get some exercise. His eye is pretty big, but it isn't bloated, i know that for a fact.

• Red
    Favorite Answer

That is the most extreme over-feeding I've ever heard of. ^^; He should get no more than two or three small pellets per day, max, or two good sized flakes. You should cut waaay back or you'll have a very fat, and very dead betta fish with horrible water quality.

If you LOVE the fish, do not over-feed him. You're making him ill by playing off a bettas natural rush to eat as much as possible while they can. They do this because in the WILD they don't know when they'll get their next meal. In home aquaria they don't have to worry bout that. Unless you want your betta to only live a few months to a year, I suggest you stop and do what is RIGHT, and healthy for the betta. Feed him NO MORE than two pellets per day. You can give him ONE extra in the evenings if it makes YOU feel better, because it certainly isn't making him feel very good. You should wait until day after tomorrow before feeding him. You risk bursting his stomach feeding him like you have. Painful way to go, truly.

I know this is a old question but I'm answering for people that might be wondering about a similar situation.

I think only two pellets a day is a bit extreme unless it's a young betta. Adult bettas can have 2 feeds a day, I would suggest two pellets in the morning and one at night or the other way round. For a young betta just feed 1 pellet in the morning and 1 at night. It's best to use floating pellets (hikari pellets are best.) and watch to make sure he eats all of them. Any uneaten ones can be taken out easily with a pippet or Turkey baster. It's always a good idea to supplement with frozen food. If you are, the best types to get would be bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia. When feeding frozen food give as much as you think could fit into the bettas eyeball as its a similar size to his stomache. Give the frozen food instead of the pellet either in the morning or at night. Frozen food should only be fed as a supplement and not as a staple. There's some great information on betta feeding on this website. http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

The eye of a betta is the same size of his stomach. You are feeding him too much i can tell you didn't do your research. You should feed your betta 3 pellets or 4 flakes no more if i were you i would not feed him for 1 or 2 days since he needs to get ride of so much food. The rule is he eats 6 days & 1 day no food.

That's WAY to much my betta got 5-6 tiny flakes a day.

Only feed your fish what they can eat within 2 min

whoa yeah thats way too much...

the back of the fish food says exactly how much to give them

That is too much.