Why was Zimmerman charged with 2nd Degree.?

I mean, the prosecution had all the evidence that we saw presented. Why in the world did they decide to charge with 2nd Degree murder.

I mean, seeing all of this evidence, it's ridiculous that they ever thought 2nd Degree. So why did they even try that.

Licia, you're right, but "charge" is different than that.

Charge is anything you're being accused of when you go to court. The charge does not denote any kind of guilt, but only denotes that you are being accused of a crime.

What they have to be unanimous on is Zimmerman's guilt, lacking guilt or him actually being guilty. They have to be unanimous on the guilt verdict. The jury does not charge anyone, they determine guilt. The state charges people, as in accuses them.

Excuse me Licia, that's not entirely accurate. Regarding lack of guilt, they DO NOT have to be unanimous. They only have to be unanimous on guilt.

Billy, that was just before the closing arguments, and the judge threw it out because she knew that the absurdity of it would likely cause the jury to lose confidence in the state's credibility in bringing up charges against Zimmerman.

2nd degree was the charge that they took Zimmerman to trial for.

Cantanke, merely shooting someone on purpose does not denote the malice and disdain for the person's life that 2nd degree demands.

However, I see your point. But they still had all of the evidence that we saw in the court. It would seem to me that 2nd Degree was a ridiculous charge. There's no way at all to infer some kind of provable malice or disdain unless you could get the racism thing to stick, but there was nothing to suggest racism. In fact, the only thing that people are using to say racism was involved is solely the fact that Zimmerman is light-skinned, and Treyvon is black. Those recordings of previous calls, those were specially selected recordings. Zimmerman had made others, and they weren't all about black people.

jd,

I think you're in error on that. I read the jury instructions, and I don't remember anywhere that it said that the victim had to initiate the confrontation in order to have a manslaughter charge.

However, I see what you're saying. You're saying that it is part of the manslaughter charge that the victim had to initiate the confrontation, but then Zimmerman overreacted and caused his death. I don't think you're right on that, but assuming you were right, I can see what you mean as to why they might insist on a 2nd degree charge since they were operating on the assumption that Trayvon could not have possibly initiated the confrontation.

Of course, now we know that to be most likely false, and even if not, it's not beyond a reasonable doubt, so even assuming you're right, the 2nd degree still seems rather stupid because of the obvious reasonable doubt.

Favorite Answer

To appease race hustlers. Every legal expert or network news legal commentator has stated that there was not enough evidence to charge Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder.

This is the definition I found for it:

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life.

So... since he didn’t plan it, it’s not first degree murder and the victim didn’t initiate the altercation, so it’s not manslaughter.

Zimmerman admitted to pulling the trigger on purpose. That's second degree murder if his self-defense claim falls apart. You don't usually get manslaughter for killing someone on purpose.

They haven't charged Zimmerman yet, the jury has to make the decision and their decision has to be UNANIMOUS

Source(s): Watching the live courtroom coverage on CNN

Second degree is easier to prove.

They tried to charge him with felony child abuse.

• liBrul

Because he did it on purpose.