Explain how a simple pendulum might be used to assist in geophysical explorations for locating oil.?

I'm looking for some sensible answers. Please.

• DaveWH
    Favorite Answer

I'm not sure if this is right, but the only thing I can think of is that if you had a large pool of oil under your feet, its density would be much less than that of the surrounding rock. Therefore, the local acceleration due to gravity at that location, would be slightly less than average. This would cause the pendulum's swing to slow down slightly. However, I suspect that the effect would be very small, so you would need sensitive measuring instruments.

It is remotely possible that a rig could be made which would react to changes in density below the ground (mass concentrations say of salt domes) so that a pendulum mounted in a frame that somehow was positioned for a perfect vertical to the center of the earth would hang to one side by a tiny amount that could be measured.

The concentration of mass in any case is so tiny that the normal way of locating them is to observe the deviations in the paths of space satellites or with an instrument on an airplane that can move across great swaths of territory. And I doubt it would be reliable for finding oil when properly done.