Smoked on and off for a year and need health insurance?

I'm a 22 year old female I quit cold turkey 3 weeks ago because I had originally picked up smoking because of a really really bad break up (dated for almost 4 years, now he's engaged and has a child on the way...very hard to deal with) last year and I've been on and off them for a year like I said. I quit because I'm trying to move on with my life and become a better person. When I say on and off smoker, I mean I only smoked at school with my friends. And that was at most 5 a day or at the least 2 for maybe 3 out of the 7 days in the week. I don't smoke at home, on the weekends or over breaks (about 1 to 3 weeks). I've never been one of those a pack a day smokers, never done it. Just a few at school. But here's where I'm scared. I graduate from college in late September and my health insurance will disappear. I've told my doctors maybe 4 times since I started smoking that I'm an on and off smoker and told them how many and how often and that I want to quit completely, but my depression was running me ragged. But I'm hoping to be completely smoke free by graduation. I'm over my ex and my depression is a distant memory, I've been smoke free for 3 weeks now (no patch, no gum). I'm nowhere near overweight, I'm super thin and have a lightning fast metabolism, I'm not easily winded and can sprint up and down my stairs multiple times in a breath and I live at a high altitude. I feel fine. But I've had and extensive history of anxiety and panic attacks (which brings me here lol) I've had many EKGS done and I'm fine. I know that's not going to matter much when I apply for health insurance but do you think I'll be okay as far as the smoking thing? What about the things I told my doc? I know to drink plenty of water and take vitamin C, I just want my rates to be ok. Sorry if this is super long. I can't tell, I'm on my phone. But thanks a ton!

Favorite Answer

Honey, three weeks is nothing.

You will have to be honest and disclose the smoking in the past year - which you have done.

For insurance, what matters is whether you smoked at least once in the last year, or you have not smoked in over a year. If you smoked in the last year, whether it was once 11 months ago, or it was every 5 minutes everyday, you are considered a smoker. It does not matter that is was "on and off". What matters is that you have not been smoke free for a whole year yet.

• car253

You have to be smoke free for a year to be considered a non-smoker and that may vary by state and/or company. The anxiety is another concern. You might get charged more for that reason too.

Glad you have moved on with your life. Remember, your only friends until you have a ring on your finger.

• Zarnev

Your rates will be OK, they'll just be smoker rates. You'll pay smoker rates until you've been smoke free for 12 months. There's nothing you can do to change that. You'll also have increased rates for the anxiety and panic attacks, there's nothing you can do to change that either.

Source(s): Independent Ägent

Find a job that offers health insurance.

No history will be brought up. You can't be turned down.

Call your current insurance.

I'm almost positive they extend you coverage for 6 months after you graduate.