Does the training to "hate the person" that Jehovah's Witnesses are taught, cause others damage?

Jehovah's Witnesses teach their members that they must "hate in the fullest sense", those that leave their religion and Organization.

Has this practice been responsible for damage to many people associated with this religion?

Shunning

Disfellowshipping

Marking

Public reproof

Judicial hearings

All of these disciplining measures are perpetuated by the interpretation of the Watchtower Bible Society.

There have been literally thousands of cases of;

Depression

Suicide

death

Mental illness

Social withdrawal.

Why are the methods of this training responsible for such negative end results, when all discipline is meant to bring a person back to his senses and his good relationship with God?

Have Jehovah's Witnesses over-stepped the boundaries of Bible teaching, by their methods of controlling their members, and teaching hate of ex-members?

• I Try
    Favorite Answer

@Gary, hang on there buddy, let us look at the very factual evidence of Christ's teachings and the very clear words of your publications.

How can you say, "There is no training that we have that tells us to hate the person. We hate the acts that the person does.", is this a total lie or are you so unfamiliar with your teachings that I have shown you time and time again?

Do you deny the existence of this teaching?

As I have copied and pasted this published facts from the Watchtower magazine before and you have made comment on them in the past, I have to assume that you know full well that your society teaches to "HATE OTHERS" and has done so for a long time.

You have even produced other teaching where the society has taught to not hate others therefore only proving that the society has no idea what is the truth from day to day.

As the society has taught to "HATE OTHERS" on several occasions in print [I cannot comment on the 5 weekly lessons] it is very clear the society promotes HATE of OTHERS.

What does the bible say…

Matthew 5:43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbour and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,”

Matthew 19:19 honour your father and mother, and, you shall love your neighbour as yourself.

Matthew 22:39 And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Luke 6:27 But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, and do good, …..

John13:34 I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. As I have loved you, you should also love one another.

John13:35 By this all shall know that you are My disciples, if you have love toward one another.

John 15:12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

John 15:17 These things I command you, that you love one another.

Romans 13:8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another;

Galatians 5:14 For all the Law is fulfilled in one word, even in this, "You shall love your neighbour as yourself."

What does the Watchtower Magazine say….

"We must hate in the truest sense, which is to regard with extreme and active aversion, to consider as loathsome, odious, filthy, to detest. Surely any haters of God are not fit to live on his beautiful earth.

The Watchtower, October 1, 1952, p. 599:

"When a person persists in a way of badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of his make-up, then in order to hate what is bad a Christian must (((hate the person))) with whom the badness is inseparably linked…Jesus did not mean for us to love the hardened enemies of Jehovah."

The Watchtower, July 15, 1961, p. 420:

"You have seen the benefit of godly love, but do you know how to hate? These very strong words are an expression of godly hate, and you too must have this quality to be pleasing to God. Hate causes a feeling of disgust to well up inside you. You loathe, abhor, despise the object of your hatred. Godly hatred never has as its object our Christian brothers, no matter how imperfect."

The Watchtower, July 15, 1974, p. 442:

"More than that, we want to (((hate those))) who willfully show themselves haters of Jehovah, haters of what is good."

The Watchtower, June 15, 1980, p. 8:

"Apostasy is, in reality, a rebellion against Jehovah. Some apostates profess to know and serve God, but they reject teachings or requirements set out in his Word. Others claim to believe the Bible, but they reject Jehovah's organization and actively try to hinder its work. When they deliberately choose such badness after knowing what is right, when the bad becomes so ingrained that it is an inseparable part of their makeup, then a Christian must (((hate))) (in the Biblical sense of the word) (((those))) who have inseparable attached themselves to the badness."

The Watchtower, October 1, 1993, p. 19:

Yes it causes much

Pain

Suffering

Death

It also causes PTSD and is resulting in more and more lawsuits against the JWs .

JWs false man made unbiblical policies destroy

Marriages

Families

Childhoods

Lives

On the Saturday program at their 2013 District conventions they spew hate

speech against members who just change their mind about the cult .

Source(s): JWfacts website DR Jerry Bergman PHD his book "Jehovahs Witnesses and the problem of mental illness" Steve Hassan cult expert and author
  • Brian

Hold on there buddy. There is no training that we have that tells us to hate the person. We hate the acts that the person does.

I know you. I know your history. I know why you left Christianity. I do not hate you. I do not even dislike you. I am saddened that you are no longer a Christian and have taken a course against Christianity. But I have never been taught to hate you.

Here is what we have been taught about hate:

"Hate One’s Enemies? Jesus’ counsel to love one’s enemies is in full harmony with the spirit of the Hebrew Scriptures. (Mt 5:44) Faithful Job recognized that any feeling of malicious joy over the calamity of one intensely hating him would have been wrong. (Job 31:29) The Mosaic Law enjoined upon the Israelites the responsibility to come to the aid of other Israelites whom they might view as their enemies. (Ex 23:4, 5) Instead of rejoicing over the disaster of an enemy, God’s servants are instructed: “If the one hating you is hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.”—Pr 24:17, 18; 25:21."

"What kind of hatred must servants of God cultivate?

In true loyalty to Jehovah, his servants hate what and whom he hates. (2Ch 19:2) “Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies.” (Ps 139:21, 22) But this hate does not seek to inflict injury on others and is not synonymous with spite or malice. Rather, it finds expression in its utter abhorrence of what is wicked, avoiding what is bad and those intensely hating Jehovah. (Ro 12:9, 17, 19) Christians rightly hate those who are confirmed enemies of God, such as the Devil and his demons, as well as men who have deliberately and knowingly taken their stand against Jehovah.

While Christians have no love for those who turn the undeserved kindness of God into an excuse for loose conduct, they do not hate persons who become involved in wrongdoing but who are worthy of being shown mercy. Instead of hating the repentant wrongdoer, they hate the wicked act, yes, “even the inner garment that has been stained by the flesh.”—Jude 4, 23."

This is what is taught. You can blindly quote literature taken out of context by your masters all you want. You would be wrong.

What kind of hatred? We express it by avoiding what is bad and those intensely hating Jehovah. Its a righteous hatred and compatible with Bible standards.

Romans 12:9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone.

Romans 12:19 Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

You can ridicule, insult and revile me all you want as you have done in each of your questions and answers in the last week. Jesus does hate what is evil and cling to what good. He never repaid evil of evil. He even shunned those who his people shunned.

We are humans. We try to stay the course when it comes to Bible teachings.

The Bible is what guides our lives. Is it controlling. Yes it is. Following Bible standards controls our lives. Is this a bad thing? You might think so.

We do not teach to hate former members but to avoid those who will bring a spiritual cancer to you. We hate what they are doing but do not hate the person. Many times the person is so focused that their only goal is to mislead and stumble Christians. This person's life is defined by their actions to mislead and stumble. The Bible teaches us not to associate with people who are like this. You may disagree with this but it is written for all to see.

You can twist what we teach all you want. It does not change what we teach in regards to hatred.