WiFi Range Extender Slower Than Modem?

Hi,

I've recently purchased & installed a Belkin N300 range extender for my Linksys X3000 modem router. I've noticed that the speed of the extender's network is slower than the router's network.

In numbers, my origianl speed is ~ 6Mbit. Now it is

~ 4Mbit on router's network (X3000)

~ 2Mbit on extender's network (Belkin N300).

Any idea how could I make it 6Mbit on ALL networks ?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

The Range Extender From Belkin has Dual Radio Frequencies and it has two networks for the same (2.4GHz) & (5GHz), have you tried connecting to both the Networks and tried? if not try searching for available networks you'll find Two networks with 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz at the end of the SSID.

IF you've tried this and both the networks are giving you the same speeds, Check if the encryption type is same on Both Router and the Extender, if it is set to WPA2 on Linksys the same should be on Extender.

IF everything seems to be fine, try disabling one of the Radio Frequencies on the Extender 5Ghz can be disabled with no problem, check if it solves.

IF not you could try turning off the Security on the Extender it comes uPnP, firewall enabled, the best would be to check with the Technical team at Belkin as we cant disable any security features.

Hope this solves

Linksys Wifi Range Extender N300

• link

A halving of speed is to be expected with a range extender since it acts as a repeater. So the range extender (repeater) first has to receive the packet from the main router and then repeat it to send it out to its clients (PCs connecting wirelessly to the extender).

• oberon

Belkin Repeater