Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 8 years ago

Why was the Catholic Church silent during the holocaust?

Hitler,being catholic, would have surely listened to the Pope,if not he,some of his army men would have saved some jewish lives, even if they would have to face consequences.

Favorite Answer

In the early 1930s, The German bishops excommunicated any and all Catholics who joined the Nazi party, wore the uniform, or flew the swastika flag (including Adolph Hitler).

http://www.zenit.org/article-28937?l=english

http://www.ptwf.org/Projects/

"Pius XII? This is the only human being who has always contradicted me and who has never obeyed me." Adolf Hitler --- from Hans Jansen's The Silent Pope? (2000)

In October 1958 in front of the United Nations General Assembly, Golda Meir, the Prime Minister of Israel, said of Pope Pius XII at his death :

''During the 10 years of Nazi terror, when our people went through the horrors of martyrdom, the Pope raised his voice to condemn the persecutors and commiserate with their victims.''

Some of the Jewish organizations that praised Pope Pius XII at the time of his death for saving Jewish lives during the horror of the Nazi Holocaust were:

+ The World Jewish Congress

+ The American Jewish Committee

+ The American Jewish Congress

+ The Anti-Defamation League

+ The Central Conference of American Rabbis

+ The National Conference of Christians and Jews

+ The National Council of Jewish Women.

+ The New York Board of Rabbis

+ The Rabbinical Council of America

+ The Synagogue Council of America

No serious scholar contests the evidence that Pius XII took direct and indirect measures to save Jews from the Nazi death machine.

At the start of World War II, Pope Pius XII’s first encyclical was so anti-Hitler that the Royal Air Force and the French air force dropped 88,000 copies of it over Germany. Here is a link to the Summi Pontificatus: Encyclical of Pope Pius XII on the Unity of Human Society, October 20, 1939: http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encycli...

Unfortunately the Soviet Union and others had been trying to convince the world that the Catholic Church was pro-Nazi since the death of Pope Pius in 1958: "The KGB campaign against Pius XII": http://www.the-tidings.com/2007/021607/difference....

"Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly. "

- Albert Einstein, Time Magazine, December 23, 1940 http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,7...

See also:

+ The Myth of Hitler’s Pope: Pope Pius XII and His Secret War against Nazi Germany (2005) by Rabbi David G. Dalin

+ Did Pope Pius XII Help the Jews? (2007) by Margherita Marcione

+ The Holy See vs. the Third Reich by Ronald J. Rychlak http://soli.inav.net/~jfischer/oct98/ronaldrychlak...

+ Jewish Historian Praises Pius XII's Wartime Conduct by Michael Tagliacozzo http://academics.smcvt.edu/pcouture/jewish_histori...

+ Did Pius XII Remain Silent? by Fr William Saunders http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0...

+ Pius XII and the Jews: The War Years, as reported by the New York Times by by Rev. Msgr. Stephen M. DiGiovanni, H.E.D. http://www.catholicleague.org/pius/piusnyt/bio.htm

+ Hitler, the War, and the Pope (2000) by Robert J. Rychlak

+ The Unseen War in Europe (1996) by John H. Waller (see the chapter entitled “Operation X: The Vatican Connection”)

+ "Pope Pius XII personally saved Jews from Holocaust" http://www.ptwf.org/Downloads/PR%20KRAISTALL_SAVIN...

With love in Christ.

Actually people should learn history before they post such nonsense. Pope Pius XI was against the Nazi Party and instructed the churches in Germany to put of fliers within their churches to discredit the Nazi Party but of course the Catholic Church was also against communism. And Pope Pius XII did what Pope Benedict XV done during WWI by claiming the Vatican neutrality during WWII. Take this into consideration that the Vatican was behind the Axis lines the Pope chose the correct action being that the Vatican is the Catholic Church. Pope Pius XII remained on good terms with Hitler and Mussolini but secretly he had despised both Hitler and Mussolini. During WWII Pope Pius XII actually arranged 10,000 Jews to be smuggled out of Europe in which there were many Jews that thanked him for saving their lives. The other thing is that the media during and after WWII never said anything negative about the Vatican because they knew the actions of Pope Pius XII.

• Seeker

Hitler was Catholic, technically, but he didn't devote himself to anything but the rise of Nazi Germany and the Aryan Super Race.

Now when you speak of army men, are you talking about those Swiss guards? Their job is to protect the life of the Pope.

Why didn't the Catholic Church do anything? I wish I knew, but I don't know if these are matters that the Vatican would have been able to deal with.

Hitler was a mad man, highly doubt one little voice from the Papacy would have done anything. Oh also, I believe Mussolini MIGHT have (I'm not sure) suppressed Vatican City, I don't know.

You are incorrect. Hitler would not. To show that Catholics do not listen to the Pope even today examine what the Pope has said about antisemitism and count the antisemitic Catholics today.

The relationships between guards, powerful prisoners and the common prisoner was complex. The human depravity and human heroism of the holocaust is worth examining on its own. In this light the role of individual Catholics and the role of the Church can be examined less cynically and more fairly.

The myth of the obedient Catholic is one misconception you should drop right away.

Many Catholic priests and other clergy in occupied Europe worked to save Jewish lives. Many of them were killed by the Nazis for doing so. The Vatican also did a lot of work protecting Italian Jews and others persecuted by the Nazis. Hitler might have been Catholic but that does not mean he would listen to the Pope or anyone else.

• Nous

Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord. - Adolf Hitler

My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter.

- Adolf Hitler

As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. - Adolf Hitler

The folkish-minded man, in particular, has the sacred duty, each in his own denomination, of making people stop just talking superficially of God's will, and actually fulfill God's will, and not let God's word be desecrated. For God's will gave men their form, their essence and their abilities. Anyone who destroys His work is declaring war on the Lord's creation, the divine will. - Adolf Hitler

Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith ...we need believing people. - Adolf Hitler

We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations; we have stamped it out. - Adolf Hitler

Well, first of all Hitler was not Catholic even though he was in his youth. As leader in Germany he wanted a state Church and not the Catholic Church. This is truly evidenced by the fact that the Catholics were the second largest group murdered in the extermination camps of the Nazi's. Over 3 million Catholics were murdered in these camps. In parts of Nazi occupied Europe over 70% of all Catholic priests were martyred.

Catholics labored to save the Jews, mentally and physically challenged, Gypsies, Jehovah Witnesses and others targeted by the Nazi's and members of the Church paid the price with their lives. The actions of Catholics speaks louder than any words would suffice to illustrate the sacrifice of Catholics to save others. Even those that hated us and persecuted us. God bless!

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

He had to stay silent not only to protect Catholics in Germany (of which Hitler did not practice the faith, so since he didn't listen about anti-Semitism and the invasion of Poland, why think he would have listened to anything else?) as well as save those fleeing Germany from the Nazi's that he could (it has since been discovered that the Vatican created false passports for thousands, including Jews, to escape Europe during the war).

Pope Pius XII saved more Jewish lives than you think.

Source(s): Russian Orthodox

Church had no control over Truman, it was jew bernard baruch who dictated.

The Jewish Holocaust or holocaust by Jews was by led Jew Leo Szilard, Jew Eugene Wigner, Jew Niels Bohr, and Jew Albert Einstein the ‘fathers’ of the nuclear Bomb, Jewish financier Bernard Baruch, secret director of ‘Manhattan Project’ and head of the Jewish high council in Manhattan, and Jew J. Robert Oppenheimer, scientific director, ‘Manhattan Project’ who led the research team that produced the first nuclear bombs and Jew Lipman Siew @ William Leonard Laurence who led the only actual use of nuclear weapons against humans which may have burnt alive estimated 10 million babies, children, girls, women and old men - all civilians when it dropped atomic bombs on two major cities Hiroshima and Nagasaki on 6th and 9th August 1945 having estimated population of 10 million each.

The Manhattan project was sanctioned by FDR and executed by Truman both members of Jewish secret society "Freemasons" whose members take oath every month to repossess Jerusalem from Muslims.

And bash a fellow Catholic, when just as much blood if not more was on the Vatican's hands?

LOL NO WAY

Plus, there was also a white, catholic populace in the 1940s that was antisemitic as per direction of the church.

-atheist, raised catholic