Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Kyle asked in SportsFootball (American) · 8 years ago

Is Russell Wilson really as good as his stats say they are?

Hi I'm a little new to football and I am a Seahawks fan. Russel Wilson ended his first NFL season tying Peyton Manning's Rookie TD record with a passer rating of 100.00 and I was just wondering if he is actually any good. Alot of people are saying that he only accomplished all of this through the skill of his teammates rather than his own. Some even say that if Wilson was a QB for, say the Colts or Redskins he would do much worse. Are those people just haters? Or do they actually have a valid point?

Favorite Answer

Russell Wilson is definitely as good as his stats say they are. Just looking at a few things show that he's definitely lived up to his potential.

He was the ONLY QB this season to beat Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and the San Francisco 49ers, while leading the Seahawks to their best season since 2006 when they lost the Super Bowl. How can you deny that?

Check out some of his games this season:

Week 13 @ Chicago Bears - Wilson lead the Bears on a 92 or 94 yard drive to beat the Chicago Bears, who were a top 5 defense at the time, which had serious implications on the 2013 Playoffs that season.

NFC Divisional @ Atlanta Falcons - The Seahawks led 28-23 with a good 30 seconds to go, and they would have had a victory if not for the big play in the end by Matt Ryan. But the fact that they took the best team in the NFC (record wise) to the limit of a near choke showed that they had resolve.

Sure he has had some fantastic teammates, but they all had good things. Luck had a solid defense, and he showed heart with his coach getting leukemia, but he also had one of the best WRs in the league in Reggie Wayne. RG3 made his teammates better. Who really knew Alfred Morris before then? But Wilson came into a system where a hungry Matt Flynn was looking to take the starting job alongside Tavaris Jackson. He was a freaking rookie and beat out those two, which shows he's the real deal. He has to get better though, I feel like they are trendy picks for a Super Bowl.

Well, I just typed my *** off, but I hoped you learned something since you said you were new to football. Did some research, and as long as you're not bandwagon, you're in good hands with Wilson at QB.

Im a niners fan and as much as I hate a lot of seahawks fans for their loud mouths, I will admit russell wilson is a solid quarterback.

sure he does have a great supporting cast. a much better one that rg3 or andrew luck has. he has marshawn lynch to keep defenses honest with the run and has some decent receivers in the backfield. but the man can crank up some damage on his own. sure both him and rg3 can run the ball down the field well using plays like the option discouraging defense blitzes. but if you look at how he was able to get his team to storm back both times on the road against the redskins and the falcons when facing huge deficits to take the lead, it is pretty damn impressive. now not many quarterbacks are that calm and composed to carry their teams through postseasons and especially their first as a rookie and bring on the heat.

id say a lot of people are haters and jealous of what he has done as a rookie.

• D

As good as his stats say? No, he's not that good. He had a great situation, and made the best of it. Not many QBs can come in with 3 legitimate receiving targets and one of the best RBs in the NFL, along with a top 5 offensive line in their rookie year. That being said, Wilson ~is~ very talented. To compare him to RG3 and Luck though, who both were on terrible teams but made them into playoff contenders? No, I don't think he's that good, nor do I feel he has a very high ceiling. In fact, you're probably looking at his ceiling right now. Wilson isn't going to get much better than he was last year, and as he ages and gets slower, he's going to get progressively worse. The Seahawks will get about 5 good years out of him, though, and they'll probably be playoff contenders for those 5 years, so as a Seahawks fan, you can be happy about that.

What you can't be happy about though, is that Kaepernick and the 49ers are better than Wilson and the Seahawks, and the Hawks will be looking up at the 49ers all 5 years. But Seahawks fans should be used to that. And in Seattle, second place is as good as first.

He's not better than Luck but he's good.

The Hawks weren't a bad team the previous year so you really cant compare him with Luck or even Manning who was the number 1 pick.

Russell Wilson is a better QB than RG3 and Luck in my opinion. Wilson just has a lot of haters.

@ D- you are one cocky Niners fan. But that's OK, because you'll shut up midway through the season when the Seahawks are better.

No he hasnt proven himself yet. But that could change.

Besides that he is pretty good.