Can Facebook legaly start charging for membership?

Can Facebook start charging for its memberships at any given time? I'm curious if it will be legally allowed to do so. Reason why i wonder is because on the log-in/registry page it says '' Sign Up, It’s free and always will be. '' But then the terms say: 14.) Amendments: Unless... show more Can Facebook start charging for its memberships at any given time?

I'm curious if it will be legally allowed to do so. Reason why i wonder is because on the log-in/registry page it says '' Sign Up, It’s free and always will be. ''

But then the terms say:

14.) Amendments:

Unless we make a change for legal or administrative reasons, or to correct an inaccurate statement, we will provide you with seven (7) days notice (for example, by posting the change on the Facebook Site Governance Page) and an opportunity to comment on changes to this Statement.

You can also visit our Facebook Site Governance Page and "like" the Page to get updates about changes to this Statement.

If we make changes to policies referenced in or incorporated by this Statement, we may provide notice on the Site Governance Page.

Your continued use of Facebook following changes to our terms constitutes your acceptance of our amended terms.

So if they start charging could we sue Facebook for doing so?

Many thanks
12 answers 12