Will you tell me what to expect with a south korean exchange student?

We will be hosting a south Korean exchange student very soon. She is 16 and she like to: Read, listen to music, and take walks. She also love to make people laugh.

I am just wanting to know, what are some books that she has probably read? Is Harry Potter as big there as it is in Europe and America?

What music is popular there?

Also, I have heard the south Koreans are not accustomed to American bathrooms. Will that be something that needs to be explained?

Also, is there anything that will come as a big difference, as in, will there be anything that may seem completely normal to me but will be really foreign to her?

Any answers you have will be appreciated. I just want us to have something in common so that we can communicate easier and not have to search long and hard for common interests.

Also, is there a big nerdfighters community in south korea?

Favorite Answer

Okay, I can't say this about every South Korean, but being Korean myself, and having many friends that are international students, I can speak a little bit about what to expect. A cousin from South Korea has been staying with my parents for 2 years in America now, so they were kind of in the same boat when she misunderstood some things. XD One of my friends was also an exchange student from South Korea, and she told me a couple things about what happened with her host family. So, here goes!

Harry Potter isn't as big as it is in Europe and America, but I've seen a lot of people here in Korea read manhwa (comics), webtoons (Korean online comics), and fantasy and fiction novels.

Popular Korean music would probably be Korean pop and ballad music. Here are a couple to give you a taste:

What's Your Name? - 4MINUTE

I'll Show You - Ailee

Nanrina - Block B

I Am the Best - 2NE1

Good Day - IU

Tell Me Your Wish - SNSD

On Rainy Days - Beast

Illa Illa - Juniel

When I Can't Sing - Se7en

*Hip-hop, rap, indie, acoustic, and all other genres are popular, as well. Message me if you would like examples of those.

Moving on, in Korean household bathrooms, there is usually a drain in the floor. The reason for this is that when water gets on the floor (this can often happen when taking showers), it'll just drain out into the ground. They'll also usually wear slippers inside the bathroom because of the often wet floors. You may want to explain to her that water, for the most part, stays in the bathtub/shower, as there are no drains on the floor, and she doesn't really have to wear slippers (I don't know if your household wears them or not).

Another thing: Koreans are super big on recycling. They have different trash cans for food waste, paper waste, plastic, styrofoam, glass, everything. If your household doesn't do that, tell her that she can just throw whatever trash she wants in one garbage can.

Air conditioning and heating works a little differently in Korea than it does in America. In the United States, both air conditioning and heating comes from the air vents in the floors. In Korea, the heating comes directly out of the ground (like, the entire floor gets hot), and the air conditioning actually comes from a machine (it's a giant air conditioning tower you buy).

In Korea, most people live in apartment buildings. If someone has a backyard and a second floor in Korea like they do in America, they are seen as a really rich family. She may be very surprised if you have both.

American sinks tend to have the grinder/food processors built in the drains. Koreans cannot do that, or they will break their sink.

I hope this helped you out a little! If you have any further questions you would like to ask, don't hesitate to email/message me. I'd love to help!

Source(s): Many personal experiences.
  • sissyj

1. I wouldn't know about her personally, but in Japan, which is a part of Asia, Harry Potter is huge there and they are getting a theme park, too. Again, the books that she read depend on her and not necessarily her country or continent. So, since she likes to read, she might like to read a lot of books. Not everyone in South Korea may read as much as she does.

2. Again, the music that she likes may not be what is necessarily what is popular in the rest of her country. Also, Psy is from South Korea, so that may be popular, but she may not like Psy. Just ask her what sort of music she enjoys.

3. Something you heard may not be true. Our bathrooms are pretty basic, so it shouldn't be too difficult for her to understand. If anything needs to be explained, it would probably be what can and can't be flushed down a toilet.

4. She will have to tell you what is foreign to her about US culture. She is in a foreign country, after all, but she may have researched enough about US culture to understand at least a little about what may be going on. You may have to give her some guidance if she learned the information from a weird place that may not give accurate information about our culture.

5. No idea what nerdfighters is. So, even if there is a community in South Korea, she may not know what it is, either.

1. This habits isn't anything that should be of important situation until he definitely refuses to do the whole lot you recommend, at any given time. In most Asian cultures, education is positioned as a priority (the thought of education=success,) so he's on the whole just feeling the need to hold his priorities in shape. Of course, this notion is not most effective determined in Asian culture nor am I announcing all Asian families undertake such ideas, but it surely'd be shrewd to take these matters into consideration and give him a large berth. Don't attempt to drive him to do some thing useless as his most effective tasks are these of an trade scholar. 2. I'm now not conversant in Korean tradition, ingesting, and so forth. However i know well adequate that you should not press any guest to discard his assets-- anything they is also-- for those who are not certain in regards to the situations. This must be whatever to be discussed with the mum and dad or the agency, if possible, when you've got doubts. 3. Once more, do not press him about his belongings. If his calls disrupt you in a super manner, then you definitely must recall speaking to him about it. Or else, don't take useless movements-- in the end, he's in a foreign nation, far from loved ones and all people else he's ever identified; widespread calls will have to be expected. I comprehend how you do not need this to be a spoiled expertise to your son, and your considerations are comprehensible in the least. Nonetheless, it's foremost to recollect every of your duties in this drawback: he's an alternate pupil and you're the host. Good luck! Recall to have fun as a number :)