Teen sci fi book ideas?

I like the classics Brave New World and 1984, but I also like modern books like The Hunger Games. Any suggestions? What are your favorite sci fi books?

Favorite Answer

Robert Heinlein wrote a lot of science fiction aimed at teen boys (in those days they didn't think that teen girls read science fiction) that I and other girls enjoyed. They're old, but they are still mostly good stories.

As for what I read, I read science fiction or fantasy, not sci-fi. Yes, there is a difference. "Bimbos of the Death Sun" would be a great title for a sci-fi book, if it weren't a great title for a great mystery. Basically, if it's got bad science and/or hack writing, it's probably sci-fi.

When I read science fiction, I vastly prefer to read hard science fiction. John Scalzi is my latest favorite author, but I love Vernor Vinge as well (except that he doesn't publish as quickly as I'd like). On the other hand, I also read Sheri S. Tepper, and her works have been described as ecofeminist dystopias, which isn't hard SF at all.

I could go on and on, but I'll leave you with a reading list. I don't like EVERY book on this list, but it's something that you can print out and take to the library with you: http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/Essays/Clas... . Poke around the website a bit, and you'll find more recommendations. That should get you started.

My personal favorites include A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle, City Of Glass by Cassandra Clare, Green Rider by Kristen Britain and many more. I just enjoy reading science fiction books and prefer to have an online collection of my own so that I can enjoy the sci-fi tour any time without any compromise.

• Luke

The Dreamer's Word by Gerard Siorek.

• Athena

Robert Heinlein wrote a lot of good books for teens.

Are you talking about reading some or writing some?

Gardens and the Warrior of Heaven

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

go to barns and noble they can help you with your answers