what can i use to replace yeast?

I wanna make pita/lafa bread and I don't have the 2 tsp of yeast what can I use instead and how an when should it be added thanks?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no way to duplicate yeast. You can use baking soda and lemon juice but the result will not be the same as a yeast bread.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/424419-how-to-re...

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Sorry, but there's no substitute for yeast. If a recipe calls for instant yeast when you have fresh yeast (sold in blocks), use twice the as much. If a recipe calls for fresh yeast when you have instant yeast, use half the amount. You add the yeast to warm water with a little bit of sugar, stir it and wait until it rises. Make sure that the water's lukewarm (believe it's 105 to 110 degrees). Any colder and it won't work (also won't rise if you forget the sugar). If the water's over 115 degrees, then you've killed the yeast. After the yeast rises, add flour, salt, and any other ingredients.

Source(s): took a year of cooking classes
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You need yeast, no replacement.

You add warm water to the yeast packet to dissolve. Salt/flour after that and let it rise. Warm water only, too hot will kill the yeast and cold will not dissolve.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Beer,it contains yeast & is used in some breads.Just substitute beer for the liquid content of the recipe.

Source(s): Paddy's kitchen
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

nothing replaces yeast.

MAYBE baking powder but it ends up more like a cracker than bread

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.