Kiko asked in HealthMental Health · 7 years ago

Should I tell my therapist I am still having suicidal thoughts?

I am now mandated to go to therapy after a failed suicide attempt. I was in a coma and then put in a mental facility for a week.

Well I have therapy in a few days. And I am still feeling very much suicidal and unsure if I will act on it (and yes I do have a method ready for whenever I want to act on it)

Im unsure about telling the therapist is fear of getting sent back to a mental facility. IF i tell her I only have a suicidal ideation instead of possible intent, could she still report me to get me sent back to the facility?

Im so sorry you are feeling that way. Tell your therapist, I would assume that even a thought given your history could prompt them to send you back. I know you may not like the thought but they are there to help you. I understand why you may not like spending time at the facility but its better to give them a few weeks than to lose your life.

I was in an institution for five and a half months. Honestly I didnt love it but looking back that was five years ago and now im doing great. It may seem like a long time now but think how many years you still have ahead of you to live. Id gladly go back for five months to know that it would improve my chances of getting better.

Yes, you very well should tell her. Suicide is a very important thing. I'm sorry to hear that you attempted, but if you want help, you need to tell her and you need to let her help. A lot of people will say that people can help you with your problems, but I'm going to be very honest with you and I will tell you that the only way people can really help is if you help them help you. No one can do it for you, but you don't need to be alone. So, if you do tell her and she does admit you back into the facility, it's all for your own good. She's helping you.

But I think that if you feel suicidal, she'll help you by talking with you. She'll ask you why you feel how you feel, and she'll ask you what you want, and she'll tell you what to do about it.

I hope all goes well for you, I hope this helps, and I bid you good luck. :)

Yes. You should tell your therapist exactly how you feel. Even if you do get sent back it's for your own good. I hope you're okay and remember things get better. Trust me I've been there. Please don't act on your thoughts. Everything gets better and I know you might not think it will happen right now but you have to be strong..please take my advice

Source(s): I've been there Stay Strong :)

This a yes and no question. I say yes because you are a beautifulgift from God and no one should have to go through having suicidal thoughts. No because you shouldn't waste your money on someone who's going to ask you the same questions over and over again, which only makes things worse.

• ocean

PLEASE tell your therapist what is going on. There are ways to help if you catch it in time aside from going to the hospital. Even if you have to go to hospital, they are there to help you and should work with your psychiatrist/therapist. Tell someone about your feelings, even a suicide hot line.

Good luck.

Yeesssssss

You should be open to your therapist/shrink/doctor and not hide anything, that way you'd be ensuring the best treatment from them as much as possible from your end.