Writers Guild of America? Joining a union?

What is the benefit of joining the union for screenwriters? I am just wondering if they take a percentage of your how much you make? Or is it just a due at one point? Can someone lay out an actual example of how much a writer would make and then how much he would keep, lose, if it affects who he gets deals from. Thanks guys!

Favorite Answer

We work on a unit system (described in detail below*) based on writing employment and/or sales within the Guild's jurisdiction and with a "signatory" company (a company that has signed the Guild's collective bargaining agreement). Depending upon the number of units earned, a writer may be eligible for either Current (full) membership, or Associate (partial) membership.

Current membership: In order to be eligible for Current membership a writer must acquire a minimum of 24 units in the three years preceding application. Upon final qualification for Current membership, an initiation fee of $2,500 is due, payable to the Writers Guild of America, West.

Associate membership: A writer may be eligible for Associate membership if he or she has had writing employment and/or sales within the Guild's jurisdiction and with a "signatory" company but has acquired less than 24 units in the three years preceding application. Upon final qualification, Associate membership is available for a total of three years at a cost of $100 per year.

• Nancy

I'm not really sure that it has anything to do with the strike honestly. If I remember right, they did the same thing last year and brought it back in March or towards the end of the 1st quarter. Now whether or not the strike effect things next year, that remains to be seen - I guess a lot would depend on how long the strike lasts. As you've probably already noticed, it's already taken a huge hit with late night shows like Leno & Letterman. The last time I checked, Leno was doing a celebrity first's show and Letterman was wearing hats? LOL. Pay the writers their money!!! ; )