hector asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Will Indiana or Indianapolis ever have a mlb baseball team?

Why wouldn't Indy have a mlb team? I am going to taylor high school home of the titans and now a freshman in kokomo Indiana and i love being from indy!!! If so what are the team names if there is any?? Im love baseball its my favorite sport!! I love to play it even tho our season is done. :(

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First, "ever" is a LONG time; if Indy gets a team in 3027, it qualifies.

Second, Indianapolis actually "has" had four different MLB teams:

The Indianapolis Blues were a National League team in 1878; Hall of Fame pitcher Jim McCormick began his career with them.

The Indianapolis Hoosiers were a National League team from 1887 to 1889; Hall of Fame pitcher Amos Rusie began "his" career with "them."

A second Indianapolis Hoosiers were an American Association team in 1884; they finished twelfth.

Most notably, a third Indianapolis Hoosiers played in the Federal League in 1914; Benny Kauff led the league in runs, hits, doubles, stolen bases and batting average with them, and future Hall of Famer Edd Roush played his second MLB season with them (he played nine games with the White Sox in 1913). They won the Federal League pennant. However, they then moved and became the Newark Pepper.

Why doesn't Indy have a team "now"? There have always been bigger cities without baseball teams than Indy, and those larger cities are obviously going to have teams first. Just because you like being from Indy (and I like Indy, as well) isn't going to influence where they place teams.

As for possible names: The obvious choice would be Indians, as the current AAA team has been called the Indianapolis Indians since its founding in 1902. But of course, there's already the Cleveland Indians, so that's out (though the Indianapolis Indians were called "Indians" first, actually).

Hoosiers has been a popular name; in addition to the three MLB teams called the Hoosiers, there were also three non-MLB pro teams before the Indians showed up known as the Hoosiers (1885; 1894-1900*; 1901).

The Pirates briefly flirted with moving to Indianapolis in 1985 after the cocaine scandal; they were going to be the Arrows.

Indianapolis had two N.egro League teams, the Clowns and the ABCs; unusual names, but could link to Indiana baseball history.

And then any kind of animal, color, type of person [Hoosiers, some kind of occupation, etc] or even vague... thing [Heat, Thunder, Wild, etc] could be used.

Or a name playing on a nickname of Indianapolis, like the Naps, or something to do with racing.

Now, the likelihood of Indianapolis getting a team anytime soon is VERY slim, for several reasons: MLB is not expanding anytime soon; only two teams really have any likelihood of relocating in the next twenty years or so, and neither have Indy on their shortlists (the A's are probably going to San Jose, the Rays are still trying to work out something in the Tampa Bay area); and, perhaps most importantly, LOCATION.

Indianapolis is pretty close to three MLB teams, and relatively close to two to four others; so you'd need their consent to get a team there, and that is unlikely to happen.

Fun fact: the first game ever played by the National Association, which is not officially considered an official major league but is often considered as such anyway, and is generally credited with being the first "pro" baseball league of any kind, was in Fort Wayne, where the Fort Wayne Kekiongas beat the Cleveland Forest Citys.

So, the first pro baseball game was played in Indiana. Kinda, sorta.

*This team was in the Western League, which became the American League in 1900. It then replaced teams in Indy, Buffalo, Kansas City and Minneapolis with Baltimore (now the Yankees), Boston (Red Sox), Philadelphia (A's) and Washington (Senators, now Minnesota Twins) and declared itself a major league. If things had gone just a little differently...

Source(s): Eastern graduate. Go Comets.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • lydick
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Indianapolis Baseball Team

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Will Indiana or Indianapolis ever have a mlb baseball team?

Why wouldn't Indy have a mlb team? I am going to taylor high school home of the titans and now a freshman in kokomo Indiana and i love being from indy!!! If so what are the team names if there is any?? Im love baseball its my favorite sport!! I love to play it even tho our season is done. :(

Source(s): indiana indianapolis mlb baseball team: https://biturl.im/pDiZC
  • 4 years ago

1) Louisville, Kentucky 2) Las Vegas, Nevada 3) San Antonio, Texas 4) Nashville, Tennessee 5) Orlando, Florida 6) New Orleans, Louisiana 7) Indianapolis, Indiana 8) Memphis, Tennessee 9) Mexico City, Mexico 10) Calgary, Alberta, Canada

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

They are sandwiched between too many baseball markets, Tigers, Indians, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals and Reds are all within reasonable distance of the state and most baseball fans in Indiana support one of those teams. If they were to move a team to Indy, those fans aren't just going to drop the teams they've supported all their lives, they would struggle to draw crowds.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/5cl9C

1) Montreal, Quebec, Canada 2) Hartford, Conneticut 3) Nashville, Tennessee 4) Vancouver, BC, Canada

• 7 years ago

Ever is a long time so I can't say definitively no, but I can't see it happening in the foreseeable future. MLB is not expanding. No teams are planning to relocate.

• 7 years ago

Probably because you already have a football team in Indy and the state doesn't have enough funds to support both a baseball and a football team.

• 7 years ago

I wouldn't get your hopes up because I don't think any teams are gonna move any time soon

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

This question is worth more attention

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.