is it illegal for an 18 year old boy to date a 14 year old girl in Australia?

I am 14 going on 15 in exactly 1 month. My boyfriend is 18 going on 19 in November. He is no longer in school as of last year. We do not have sex as i am underage and not ready to do that, he understands this. We live in Australia and are rather worried as with the laws we are confused, please help us!

i am desperate for an answer please help us :'(

i have also asked this in the 'Laws & Ethics' category.

if you could add a source to your answers it would be percect, don't have to but please do if you have used a source

Favorite Answer

It is not illegal for an 18 year old boy to date a 14 year old girl in Australia. However, it's illegal for you two to have sex. Since the age of consent is depending on where you live.

I found this online and it said this, which I got from here http://www.aifs.gov.au/cfca/pubs/factsheets/a14209... :

"The legal age for consensual sex varies across Australian state and territory jurisdictions (see Table 1). The age of consent is 16 years of age in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Northern Territory, Victoria and Western Australia. In Tasmania and South Australia the age of consent is 17 years of age. Queensland is the only state that makes a distinction between different forms of sexual activity and the age of consent. In Queensland, the age of consent for anal sex (referred to as sodomy in legislation) is 18 years of age, while the age of consent for all other sexual behaviour (described as carnal knowledge) is 16 years of age."

I think you 2 dating is okay,its the sex thats the proble.Technically you really shouldnt be in that situation for a start.Both of you really need to wait until you are a little older.As you get older the age difference wont mean a thing.When you're 17 and he's 21 its going to mean nothing.

Your responsibilities for maintaining this relationship are just to be sensible,use common sense.Unless your parent object then you should still see each other.If your parents and/or his object you really dont have any choice.For now just continue.

i don't think of its criminal. i are conscious of it is not in my state yet of direction this is the u . s .. regulations or not she's too youthful for him. 4 years between young ones is s lifetime. The older you get the less 4 years separates you in progression yet at this age 4 years means you have diverse existence. look on the extensive distinction between 14 and 10 years previous. She is merely beginning severe college, he's carried out with it or exceptionally much carried out with it. He has plenty greater existence adventure than she does and might choose greater psychological stimulation than she will grant. If this replaced into my daughter or son they does not be allowed to date anybody at 14 years previous. i may well be truly nerve-racking and that i might do even if i ought to to confirm they weren't on my own at the same time. even if if this is unlawful i might make it clean to the boy that if he will become sexual along with her i will prosecute him. i might enable him see her in my presence, even have him over to dinner, and desire he looses interest or that she does. As I mentioned, she might basically be allowed to be buddies with any boy and he or she might basically be allowed to confirm any boy if its in a supervised team or with me in our living house. Her mom and dad are suitable. This courting is risky.