What would happen if drugs were decriminalized in America?

Would drug use really go up? I don't think much would be that different.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago
    Best Answer

1. Drug use would remain roughly the same - it might go slightly up or slightly down.

2. The Mafias would be cut in half - some would cease to exist. There would be less money for gun purchases by gangs and mafia.

3. The US would not lead the world any more for prison population. People would not be sent to prison for non-violent drug use. Police would have to do their real job and not chase all these drug violators.

4. Prison guards would have to get real jobs.

5. Drugs would be part of the real economy -- legitimate taxes for purchases.

6. Hemp could be industrial produced product.. most likely those laws would also be lifted.

7. economy could spur as a result of the new economic routes.

before you ask. I do not use drugs, or even drink alcohol, and I'm not on any prescriptions. I'm an advocate against drug use and I think it should be legalized.

• 6 years ago

I think more would try...if it did, education on it should definitely go up. At least on what is addictive and what isn't.

It wouldn't think so (drug use go up) but everyone knows that there are absolutely no health benefits to cigarettes and the damage it causes but there are still kids going out and starting smoking.

On the one hand, if the person wants to destroy their body and run the risk of some irreversible damage when they're older, then let them...

unfortunately, kids make mistakes and if the drug of choice affects their distance perception and/timing, they might hurt others or they might get addicted before they decide it's not something they want to do.

If it was legal, then there could be better regulation but alcohol is legal and there are STILL drunk driving accidents all the time.

So, my answer is I don't know ;-)

• 6 years ago

Drug use would drop, the prisons would be much emptier, and the mafia would be out of business. The reason drug use would decline is because without the huge profit margin from drugs being illegal, there would be no money for pushers.

• George
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

I think you mean legalized. Decriminalized would mean that we stop jailing people for possession, lowering our prison rates. You can still jail someone for selling it.

Underage smoking would go down while it would go up for responsible adults.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

I would go to work all day if I could have a joint and an Advil. Well,maybe some good old "Beatnik Coffee", too.

• 6 years ago

drug dealers would go out of business

• What happened when alcohol was legalized?

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Utter chaos - only weed can go down that road.

• 6 years ago

It would go up, but it would then go back down.

• 6 years ago

It would be the ruination of America....FACT!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.