M
M asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Has Manny Machado restored dignity to the phrase "Manny being Manny"?

He's such a great player.

BQ: When J.J. Hardy leaves the team, should the Orioles move Machado to SS, the position at which he was drafted? I've heard some say that he's better at SS than he is at 3B, due to his incredible range.

On a side note, it's sad how Robinson Cano's amazing arm strength is being wasted at 2nd base. They should've worked him out at either SS or 3B earlier this year, during Spring Training.

At the first answerer - I don't like the whole "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach. Is Cano the best defensive second baseman in the League? Probably. But don't you think he could be the League's best SS or 3B, which would help the team even more?

• ĶŽ
    Favorite Answer

I don't know that the phrase has ever held a high level of dignity...more a reference to crazy antics than anything. But Manny Ramirez is, to me at least, legendary, and my favorite player of all time, because of both his ability and his personality. I don't care about any controversy or baggage that he brought along with him...his name will forever be attached to the phrase, no matter how good of a player Machado becomes. And he is going to be a hell of a ballplayer.

BQ: I think that this would be a good idea. Machado is such an outstanding athlete that he would likely pan out to be a plus shortstop.

It's never too late to adapt, and I'm sure that Cano will be utilized to his highest potential in the future.

Manny Machado is being compared to Brooks Robinson, while Manny Ramirez has never been compared to anyone except Manny himself, so no, Manny being Manny is tied forever to the original.

BQ1. I don't think so. Manny will have a very long career as an All Star third baseman, the O's will be better off with a purely defensive SS, and if the moved Manny they still have to cover 3rd on so on.

BQ2. No. Cano doesn't have the range to play short. And switching positions at this point in his career is actually asking a lot of the player, so no.

Manny - no, the phrase shouldn't be associated to Machado because he isn't pulling random moves off the field, but 39 doubles already is crazy, right?

BQ - It will come up to who they end up signing at either position to decide who will move, they should keep him there for now, he is handling the corner well.

Cano - As a Yankees fan, I understand this completely, but he is the best in the league at his position, why change that? Also, with all the injuries in the infield, we don't have a replacement for second base if he moves. Most teams won't mess with a players history if they don't need to.

• MFFL

Well, the whole "Manny being Manny" phrase, usually didn't have anything to do with baseball. People didn't say it after he had a clutch hit. Usually when he did something stupid. But, there should be other phrase for him, because he is just amazing. That throw he made today was one of the best plays at 3rd, I've ever seen.

no. before Manny Ramierz, there was no such phrase so dignity was not a part of it. 'Manny being Manny' will stick with Ramirez forever. fans should give Machado something else to avoid any association with Ramirez..

Manny being Manny will always refer to Manny Ramirez

No, unapplicable. Different Manny

• A

Definitely.

BQ: yes.