1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 transmission?

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The problem is that on the first start up, the trans shifts fine. After that it wont downshift when i stop at a stop sign. Unless i manually use the col-em to downshift. Then i will upshift fine, but like before when i slow down or stop it stays in a high gear. Thanks for any help.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

sorry to say but its a dodge they suck when it comes to transmission i could send you a pic of the number of dodge trucks sitting outside the tranny shop where i used to work

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 transmission?

I have a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4. The problem is that on the first start up, the trans shifts fine. After that it wont downshift when i stop at a stop sign. Unless i manually use the col-em to downshift. Then i will upshift fine, but like before when i slow down or stop it stays in a high gear....

Source(s): 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4 transmission: https://shortly.im/hjFZJ
  • bo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

first make sure transmission is full of fluid. second is the check engine light on if so might be a problem with either the governor solenoid or sensor. third just above the linkage on the transmission a kick down cable if stuck or sticking will give you the problem its spring loaded. WD40 the heck out of it make sure it works properly then road test again. still a problem find shop at ATRA.COM for road test

Source(s): transmission man
  • It sounds like a valve body issue. The shift valves should move freely aside from The preload set by the springs inside.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.