promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Religious people are much healthier than atheists according to several scientific studies?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-schiffman/wh...

If you want to achieve maximum health, here are a few things that you should do: exercise regularly, eat nutritious and minimally processed foods, drop those extra pounds -- and pray. That's right, regular prayer and meditation has been shown in numerous scientific studies to be an important factor in living longer and staying healthy.

Prayer is the most widespread alternative therapy in America today. Over 85 percent of people confronting a major illness pray, according to a University of Rochester study.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Do you really need studies to prove this?

Reinventing the wheel of common sense?!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

If you’re at all familiar with the Bible you’ll probably remember that in it God specifically instructed His people not to eat pork and shellfish. Many people are surprised to find this out, but in the Old Testament God warned us that the pig was an unclean animal–a scavenger and not to be eaten (Check out Leviticus 11). Why You Should Avoid Pork No matter how you think about it, pigs are a rather dirty animal. They are considered the scavengers of the farm (created to eliminate any waste on the farm), often eating anything they can find. This includes not only bugs, insects, and whatever leftover scraps they find laying around, but also their own feces, as well as the dead carcasses of sick animals, including their own young. This in itself can explain why the meat of the pig can be so dirty or at the very least not so appetizing to consume. And while being ‘grossed out’ may or may not be a valid reason not to eat something it’s vital to understand a bit more about pork before reaching your own conclusion.

• 7 years ago

Wouldn't that mean they the god fearing U.S. (33rd), would be healthier than the Satanic atheists of Sweden, (9th). Even the totally apathetic British who mostly don't know or don't care whether there are any gods rate higher at 21st.

Firstly do not rely on local statistics and give them a global meaning. Check the source, method and reliability of study.

• 7 years ago

Historically religious people were healthier, physically, anyway, than many because it is the Xtians that are persecuting everyone else!

Tossing plague filled blankets at the natives means that they were healthier than the Natives!

So what!

The plague is always 'healthier' than it's victims!

That is a self-fulfilling prophesy if ever I saw one!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

"Prayer and meditation" is what that stated.

Now I wonder which of those helps the most, lol.

And the honesty of this post is lacking.

Just "putting a spin" on it, I understand, but that is dishonest isn't it?

• 7 years ago

Yes, because religion provides a built-in social network which is important for health. The effect is there no matter which religion you belong to so it's not that some particular god takes care of you.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Not a question, but last time I checked crying too much isn't healthy, and I cried myself to sleep praying so I'm happier being atheist.

• 7 years ago

You of course overlook the "meditation" mentioned. But then what can youi expect from a fundie.

• 7 years ago

That doesn't address the fact that being an atheist is more stressful because of the negativity towards us by the religious, stress can wear you down.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Did you read the article thoroughly? It says it's psychosomatic, not that God literally makes them healthy. You can get the same results from meditation, which doesn't necessarily have to be spiritual, just relaxing.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes, because weak people need imaginary powerful friends to count on in their lives.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.