what does the confederate battle flag represent to you?

Favorite Answer

Having been born and reared in the Northeast, I was transplanted to the South many years ago.

The Confederate battle flag is a flag like any other to me--like the Gadsden Flag from South Carolina (the famous yellow field with the coiled rattlesnake with the words "Don't Tread on Me"--it was designed just prior to the Revolutionary War), it's representative of a time of crisis in the United States and a reproduction of an antique.

I know that there are some hate groups that have taken this as a symbol of their disapproval of other races, ethnicities, and religions, but in the final analysis, it's really just a part of history--a period where the injustice of one person owning another made it not simply a "peculiar institution," but a struggle for human rights. We can't go back and erase it because there are no "do overs" when it comes to the past--we can only try to apply the lessons learned from mistakes, injustices, and other things that occurred in the past.

Besides, it wasn't even the flag of the Confederacy to start with--that was the Stars and Bars, which, in the heat of battle, could easily be mistaken for the Stars and Stripes--they both used the same three colors of red, white, and blue, and incorporated stars into the design as well.

Source(s): historian who acknowledges that many people in many times have suffered injustice at the hands of one group or another

A symbol representing the southern region of the United States of America. Nothing more or less than that.

• ?

As a European living in the American South, nothing. I have seen quite a number of these flags around, and I am inclined to believe that not everyone is a racist. I think for most it represents rebellion (on a personal level as well as historical) and part of southern culture.

Southern pride and history. I'm sure to others it goes deeper than that, but the country did stay together and moved forward.

The Union Government forcing said union to stay as one. The South has every right to secede and they weren't allowed to exercise that right. Regardless of why they wanted to exercise that right, they had it and it was denied them, so they fought for it. Many blacks fought with the North to be free of the South, while the South fought to be free to make their own economic choices. The absence of, to them, free labor, was a threat to their way of life. The means in which they got that free labor was wrong, but you didn't ask what the War meant to me. You asked what that flag meant to me and that flag means the failed attempt at a new independent nation that was denied it's right to exist as an independent nation by the vary county that had once fought for their own independence. Not everyone in the South owned Slaves. Not all of them fought for that. Lincoln himself said "If I can keep the Union together by abolishing slavery, then, I will. If I can keep the Union together by not abolishing slavery, then I will [as well]."

• Kira

Southern pride.

• Willie

The General Lee.. fastest car in Hazard county!!!!

Source(s): The Dukes of Hazard.

the Truth Honesty States Rights Lincoln hated the Truth

I purchased One In Australia because I never believed in Honest abe I know he was a Racist Liar Bigot and a warmonger

read what the Liar Lincoln said and Did

ne of Lincoln's most representative public statements on the question of racial relations was given in a speech at Springfield, Illinois, on June 26, 1857.6 In this address, he explained why he opposed the Kansas-Nebraska Act, which would have admitted Kansas into the Union as a slave state:

There is a natural disgust in the minds of nearly all white people to the idea of indiscriminate amalgamation of the white and black races ... A separation of the races is the only perfect preventive of amalgamation, but as an immediate separation is impossible, the next best thing is to keep them apart where they are not already together. If white and black people never get together in Kansas, they will never mix blood in Kansas ...

Racial separation, Lincoln went on to say, "must be effected by colonization" of the country's blacks to a foreign land. "The enterprise is a difficult one," he acknowledged,

but "where there is a will there is a way," and what colonization needs most is a hearty will. Will springs from the two elements of moral sense and self-interest. Let us be brought to believe it is morally right, and, at the same time, favorable to, or, at least, not against, our interest, to transfer the African to his native clime, and we shall find a way to do it, however great the task may be.

so where does the Great Emancipator come from.

and this what he did to save his empire

No president in our history ever abused his power, trashed the US Constitution, or committed more crimes than Lincoln. He acted like a total Dictator.

He waged a war that cost the lives of 620,000 Americans. Including the murder of 50,000 innocent Southern civilians.

He suspended the writ of habeas corpus without the consent of Congress (as required by the Constitution).

He had duly elected State representatives illegally jailed without charges.

He illegally imprisoned without warrant or trial some 13,000 Northern citizens who opposed his policies

He illegally shut down and confiscated the printing presses of dozens of newspapers that had spoken out against him.

He re-instated and summarily promoted an Army officer who had been court marshaled and cashiered by the US Army for war crimes.

He illegally deported a member of Congress after said congressman criticized his unconstitutional behaviour.

He even had an arrest warrant issued for the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court because said justice refused to back his illegal actions.

Chief Justice Roger B Taney ruled that Lincolns actions were illegal, criminal and unconstitutional.

Lincoln locked up Maryland legislators to prevent them from voting to secede from the Union, that's kidnapping.

He invaded the South without the consent of Congress as required by the Constitution, that's a war crime.

He blockaded Southern ports without a Declaration of war, as required by the Constitution, that's another war crime.

He imprisoned without trial, hundreds of newspaper editors and owners and censored all newspaper and telegraph communication.

He created three new states without the consent of the citizens of those states in order to artificially inflate the Republican Party’s electoral vote.

He ordered Federal troops to interfere with Northern elections to assure his Party's victories.

He confiscated private property, including firearms, in violation of the Second Amendment; and effectively gutted the Tenth and Ninth Amendments as well.

He had his Generals attack US cities full of women and children and burn them to the ground.

don't like the Truth about American History then don't read My answer

A group of traitors fighting to establish a country founded for the express purpose of protecting the rights of a small group of men to own other human beings.