Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesBoston · 6 years ago

What parts of Boston are the nicest?

Suburbs or the city I don't care I just heard it was a cool place

Best Answer

the coolest part of Boston?

Fenway

also: Back Bay, South End, Jamaica Plain

outside the city:

Harvard Sq Cambridge

runners up: Brookline, Salem, Waltham

the most upscale part of Boston:

tossup between Beacon Hill and Chestnut Hill (parts of Chestnut Hill are also in Newton and Brookline)

suburbs:

Weston, Wellsley, Wayland

Source(s): ..
  • Mike R

That depends on what you mean by "nicest" - do you mean the most affluent and upscale? Or just fun and safe areas? I live in Brighton, which is a part of the city, and think it's quite nice. It's safe, walkable, has good restaurants and bars and parks, universities, and everything one would need to get by on a daily basis - plus the headquarters of WGBH and New Balance. So I think Brighton is very nice. However, it's sort of middle-class and not particularly upscale..

Beacon Hill and the Back Bay are the most upscale parts of the city, and they're very pretty, but not an area I'd want to live even if I could afford to. They have million-dollar condos, upscale restaurants and galleries and other businesses. They're great areas for going out for an evening for dinner and walking around but I wouldn't live there.

As far as suburbs... the most affluent suburbs are Brookline, Newton, and suburbs to the west of there in general - Natick, Weston, Wellesley, and a bunch of other western suburbs.

• Libby

Both the city and the suburbs are nice, but both have areas/towns that aren't as nice.

Generally Boston itself would be "more cool" than the suburbs - just there is lots more to do within the city vs. the suburbs. For the most part, if you stay within Boston where the more tourist spots are - it is generally safe and nice. You will get a different feeling of the city depending on which neighborhood you are in - North end (best known for its restaurants, cafes, bakeries - and of course Old North Church and Paul Revere's House); South end - more trendy type restaurants; but some areas that are bit less safe; Beacon Hill and Back Bay area - expensive shops/retail/restaurants and more expensive higher end neighborhoods. Downtown and fanueil hall - not much in downtown - although not far from the theatre district; chinatown (generally downtown can be a bit unsafe during the evening hours); fanueil hall - definately a tourist hotspot.

Suburbs which ever direction you go in - you can find very nice towns (northwest - Lexington, Concord; north - northshore - Marblehead, Newburyport, Rockport; southshore - Hingham, Scituate, Cohasset) and there are definately towns/cities to avoid. Too much info to give alot of details - but depending on your interests you should be able to find some "cool" places in the Boston area.

I grew up here in Somerville and we are wicked close to public transportation into the city and there are lots of nice areas here and in cambridge. A little cheaper living in both places and boston can be rather expensive.

• J.J.

Don't waste our time unless you plan to visit or move there

Source(s): Lifetime Boston Resident!