The Mick 7 asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

All Star Rosters both AL and NL. Do you agree with these selections or do you disagree and why?

AL Starters

C Joe Mauer, Twins

1B Chris Davis, Orioles

2B Robinson Cano, Yankees

SS J.J. Hardy, Orioles

3B Miguel Cabrera, Tigers

OF Mike Trout, Angels

OF Adam Jones, Orioles

OF Jose Bautista, Blue Jays

DH David Ortiz, Red Sox

AL Pitchers

RHP Max Scherzer, Tigers

RHP Felix Hernandez, Mariners

RHP Clay Buchholz, Red Sox

LHP Brett Cecil, Blue Jays

RHP Justin Verlander, Tigers

RHP Justin Masterson, Indians

LHP Chris Sale, White Sox

RHP Mariano Rivera, Yankees

RHP Bartolo Colon, Athletics

RHP Yu Darvish, Rangers

RHP Hisashi Iwakuma, Mariners

RHP Jesse Crain, White Sox

RHP Joe Nathan, Rangers

LHP Glen Perkins, Twins

AL Reserves

1B Prince Fielder, Tigers

OF Torii Hunter, Tigers

SS Jhonny Peralta, Tigers

2B Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox

OF Nelson Cruz, Rangers

UTIL Ben Zobrist, Rays

C Jason Castro, Astros

1B Edwin Encarnacion, Blue Jays

OF Alex Gordon, Royals

2B Jason Kipnis, Indians

3B Manny Machado, Orioles

C Salvador Perez, Royals

NL Starters

C Yadier Molina, Cardinals

1B Joey Votto, Reds

2B Brandon Phillips, Reds

SS Troy Tulowitzki, Rockies

3B David Wright, Mets

OF Carlos Beltran, Cardinals

OF Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies

OF Bryce Harper, Nationals

NL Pitchers

LHP Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers

LHP Patrick Corbin, Diamondbacks

RHP Matt Harvey, Mets

RHP Adam Wainwright, Cardinals

RHP Jason Grilli, Pirates

RHP Jordan Zimmermann, Nationals

RHP Craig Kimbrel, Braves

LHP Aroldis Chapman, Reds

LHP Travis Wood, Cubs

RHP Jose Fernandez, Marlins

LHP Cliff Lee, Phillies

LHP Jeff Locke, Pirates

LHP Madison Bumgarner, Giants

NL Reserves

OF Andrew McCutchen, Pirates

OF Michael Cuddyer, Rockies

C Buster Posey, Giants

3B Pedro Alvarez, Pirates

OF Domonic Brown, Phillies

SS Everth Cabrera, Padres

2B Matt Carpenter, Cardinals

1B Allen Craig, Cardinals

1B Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

OF Carlos Gomez, Brewers

SS Jean Segura, Brewers

2B Marco Scutaro, Giants

Kevin - Yes, the fans do pick, (vote) the teams but would you not agree that the voting itself is tainted via ballot stuffing? It's a popularity contest don't you think? I believe this is a major reason why players who probably don't belong on the all star team actually make it.

Favorite Answer

The process is a joke. Joey Votto over Paul Goldschmidt for starting NL 1st baseman? Goldschmidt, with 74, has 34 more RBI than Votto. Votto may not get to 100 for the season while Goldschmidt is almost three-quarters of the way there already.

And Bryce Harper starting in the NL outfield? In what universe does .274/13/29 trump Michael Cuddyer's .337/15/52 or Domonic Brown's .281/23/69?

Since home field advantage in the WS is riding on the outcome of the game it would make far more sense to have the players, managers, and coaches decide who plays and starts.

And do away with that stupid "each team must be represented" rule, as well. Let's be honest here: Nobody from the Cubs, Padres, or Marlins deserves to be on the team.

If MLB wants to keep the fans involved it should let them vote on who participates in the Home Run Derby but letting them decide who starts in the ASG makes absolutely no sense because most fans are mindless homers.

Overall I am happy, but in the NL, Paul Goldschmidt really needs to be the first baseman, has had a better year than all others, and I am not a DiamondBacks fan either.

I can understand that its the fans vote, but it is a little ridiculous, there is a way where the players can select the starters and get the fans involved in selecting the final 5 spots on each roster, but, to do that, you would have to give up having a representative from each team.

Fielder, Perralta and Hunter shouldn't have made it bc they aren't good.

Fielder is having a bad year. Perallta is arguably the second-best SS in the AL but they all suck. I feel they should have moved Machado back to SS to start. There are more talented 3B in AL who didn't make it (Beltre, Longoria).

Hunter has like 4 home runs. I can't believe he can make this team. He's having an ok year just 4 home runs is not enough.

Zobrist is not having a great year and doesn't deserve to be on the ballot. In past years, yes and maybe even win the MVP. But he's having a bad year batting .260 with 5 home runs and 30-something RBI's.

I can't think of guys who are more qualified right now but I would just have to look at the numbers, impact and defensive stats to pick it out.

Craig I don't think should made it. He hit for average (.324) and got RBI's (69) but RBI's are circumstantial and he doesn't have enough power coming from 1B (10). I don't know how he is on defense.

Carlos Gomez should have been in the NL starting lineup not Harper, his WAR is one of the highest in the league.

Marco Scutaro is a tweener IMO, hitting for average but probably getting lucky. I feel Jean Segura should have made the start at SS since Tulowitzki (having a great year) has been out for 4-6 weeks with a rib injury. I feel like that's a pussy move and he should just play through it. Ribs hurt but they don't cause any lasting injuries --like knee arthritis for example. It just hurts, suck it up.

Leyland basically picked his whole team.

Couple of pretty minor things:

There were a few pitchers that I thought were more deserving on the AL side than Justin Masterson (Shields, Santana, Sanchez).

The only other thing I'd say is that Goldschmidt should be starting at 1B for the NL.

I wouldn't have chosen the following players from AL/NL:

AL:

Prince Fielder... Why not have James Loney be the Rays rep and have Ben Zobrist stay home?

Ben Zobrist... I know that there has to be at least one Rays representative but damn... This kind of pick makes me hope this is Jim Leland's final year managing an All-Star game. Where's Josh Donaldson???

NL:

Patrick Corbin... Sorry, but I'd have added Stephen Strasburg (Yeah, yeah. His record, I know but I still would).

Pedro Alvarez made me laugh, but I'm not angry about it. I barely care about the All-Star Game and the rosters. It's for the fans, so I'm fine with the lineups. No reservations really.

As for my White Sox, I think Sale and Crain both deserve it. Sale is just a solid starter and Crain has literally been lights out this year. Surprised about Crain though......wondered whether he would get recognized enough because he is playing on such a bad team. Good for them.

I do hope Puig makes it though. It'll be good for baseball.

I would remove Brown and Harper in favor of Shin-Soo Choo and either Starling Marte or Hunter Pence. Beyond that, I think they are pretty good lineups.

I have a bit of an issue with the AL not having either Evan Longoria or Josh Donaldson on their "last man" ballot.

• NITWIG

All I know is that my A's got totally hosed with only 1 all star in Bartolo Colon. How does Grant Balfour (22 for 22 with a 1.80 ERA) not make it or Josh Donaldson (.317, 15 & 57) not make it on a first place team? If they played for some East Coast Power you can bet they'd be there.

Source(s): A's fan.
  • bird

the A's only having one seems low

Pedroia should be starting second basemen in the AL

and the NL should have the 3 Carlos in the starting in the outfield.

I agree with most of it. I'm a huge Rockies fan and as much as I love Tulo I'm not sure he should be a starter since he has missed the last 18 or so games but he did play really well before so maybe