Baby born at 31 weeks ? for parents of premies?

I just wanted to hear some stories of premies how long they had to stay in nicu and what for. I just had ny second premie he was born at 31 weeks and is a month old and still in the nicu learning to suck swallow and breath does anyone have any stories on there experience with a premie

They told me my due date :-( but he was 5ibs 2 ounces which is huge for 2 months early and my first son was born at 34 weeks and spent 3 weeks in the nicu

Favorite Answer

My son was due on Christmas of 2001. I was at 20 weeks and my water broke. I remember actually being in the hospital on 9/11 and being terrified. The baby was alive, but just barely for a whole month. After being told it was now or never and he would die, I went in for a C-section and my baby, Henry, was born 3 pounds and 1 ounce. After being rushed away to the NICU center, he was set up to wire after wire and I was able to come in and bottle-feed his special formula to him. I was terrified of getting too attached to him, knowing it would make the loss more upsetting. But from his birthday October 8, 2001 to the day he came home December 24, 2001 he kept on fighting for his life. And he made it! And now he is amazingly fine! He was sort of a late bloomer in a couple of things but don't worry!

I am sorry to hear about your son and I hope things get better. Hang in there!

• Ellen

Most premeture babies who just have to grow (and are not sick) are in the hospital untill their due dates, give or take 2 weeks.. Each unit has their own criteria for discharge, and you can ask your baby's doctor what the criteria is in their unit. When the baby is transferred to an open crib, you will know the discharge is close. Usually, the baby has to be able to eat enough to gain weight, be able to maintain temperature, and breathe room air without having problems.

Source(s): hospital IBCLC and mothers' group leader 20+ years mom to 3, 2 of them preemies

None of my children were/are premmies, but my brother was. The doctor told us we could expect him to stay in the hospital until you "would have been" 37 weeks pregnant. This goes for most premmies. Hang in there! Only a little longer to go.

Source(s): Brother was born at 28 weeks. Weighed 2 lbs 1 oz.
  • ?

my friends daughter was born at 31 weeks and she stayed for a month and a half, my son was a 34 weeker and he stayed in for 2 weeks