Nero
Nero asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 8 years ago

How many surviving platoon members should there be in my story?

The story takes place in a fictional world where both magic and science are considered interchangeable. The story is years after a major war, the platoon mentioned in the above were an elite group sent on a suicide mission that turned the tides of the war. (the platoon size is by modern military standards)

The survivors are going to be a sort of trademark of this world. I plan on featuring at least one surviving member in each of my stories (I don't mind repeats). Due to a shortage of mages during the war, each of the members were biologically altered to be able to cast spells; but many suffer from side effects.

I currently have 3 members that I thought of:

The first is now working for an international agency set up to investigate supernatural phenomina (corrupt sorcerers, monsters, and so on).

The second is currently running a group of sky pirates. He feels his country abandoned him, and holds a grudge.

The third is currently working for an extremist group of sorcerers that went into hiding after the war (kind of like the Nazi scientists). He is actually there for revenge, and is trying to get close to the leader. He holds the leader of the group personally responsible; as his village was destroyed by Homunculi (which the leader of the sorcerer group was the one who created them for the enemy nation).

Your description doesn't really sound like this at all actually.

There is no societal "science vs magic" concept in my story, nor are we dealing with multiple earths.

Favorite Answer

Kinda sounds like

Hell's Gate

by David Weber and Linda Evans

Series: Hell's Gate Series by David Weber and Linda Evans

Publisher: Baen Books

They Thought They Knew How The Universes Worked—

THEY WERE WRONG

In the almost two centuries since the discovery of the first inter-universal portal, Arcana has explored scores of other worlds . . . all of them duplicates of their own. Multiple Earths, virgin planets with a twist, because the "explorers" already know where to find all of their vast, untapped natural resources. Worlds beyond worlds, effectively infinite living space and mineral wealth.

And in all that time, they have never encountered another intelligent species. No cities, no vast empires, no civilizations and no equivalent of their own dragons, gryphons, spells, and wizards.

But all of that is about to change. It seems there is intelligent life elsewhere in the multiverse. Other human intelligent life, with terrifying new weapons and powers of the mind . . . and wizards who go by the strange title of "scientist."