Jim asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 7 years ago

I think someone tryd to hack me?

Well someone i no added me to a skype call and his friend sent a download file on skype and said download it, It is a pretty fun game. It was a .scr file, I did not download this cause i figured it was something bad. Could someone tell me what a scr file is? Cause ino if the file was a client for something it should have ben a .exe file.

Favorite Answer

Obviously a dodgy file as a scr file is a screen saver or script files and he has stated its a game...

The SCR file type is primarily associated with 'Script'. In November 2007 the SCR file extension started to be used to transmit a Trojan. As a script or a screen saver this file can execute other files which carry the Trojan. The SCR file may be embedded within a ZIP file which could also contain a file with a double extension.

.scr is a screensaver file.

But bad news is, .exe can be cloaked as .scr

Make sure you have some antivirus like Avast installed [ www.avast.com ] to ensure safety in the future.

Careful and happy Skpying! :)

Source(s): Brain :3